• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Airlock STILL going?

Barrel Char Wood Products

theAut0

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2016
It's Day 21 of my first mead, recipe courtesy mazer828.

18lbs Honey
D47 to start, WLP099 about 9 days later.

Racked to Carboy 3 days ago (at 1.005), because I was worried about sitting in the bucket forever, and it was getting a yucky egg smell. It had a little bit of sediment at the bottom, say 1/4" thick, or so. The smell is basically gone, you may catch a slight whiff of it, if your nose is searching for it.
Today it has about 1" sediment, and the airlock is still bumping every 9-10 seconds or so.

I mean, eventually, it stops bubbling, right? Lol. Thanks!

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Well you really slowed it down when you racked it. Also you are fermenting a boatload of sugar. I would expect it to continue for a coupke more weeks at least.
Patience is a virtue I am told. :)

theAut0

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2016
Lol it's tough. I assumed 1.005 meant we should be slowing down, but I must have been wrong, since she's still rolling. Haha. Oh well.

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
If you're getting egg, it's probably starving for nutrients. I would definitely consider a Fermaid-O or boiled bread yeast addition soon, and a thorough degassing. Is your temp high? More details on the progression of this might allow for better advice.

Edit:

Sorry, I skimmed your post too quickly. At this point I'd say hold off. Just let it finish naturally. Adding any nutrients probably won't have a huge effect after you've burned thorough all that sugar. I'm guessing your abv is soaring up into the 20% range. Patience is the game now.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Bubbles are no indication of things really. Buy a hydrometer. Even after you're finished fermenting it will still off gas for a very long time. Please make sure to keep the lees stirred in suspension for a few more weeks. Once your positive it has stopped moving then let it sit (cold crash it if you can) until you have a lot of sediment on the bottom and then rack it off the sediment.

theAut0

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2016
Thanks all. I have one, Squatchy. She's sitting at a cool 0.995, at the moment, and a taste test tells me I basically made rocket fuel. Lol. Put it side-by-side with the vodka I used for the airlock, and they're pretty similar, right now. Hahaha. Honestly, I think as long as it doesn't get infected, this might end up REALLY good. I'm hoping that apple scent I kept getting early-on sticks around. Add to that, the heavy char oak spirals I will be putting it on, later, and it might be the real deal!

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
At this point, time is your friend. The rocket fuel taste can age out. It might take 6 weeks, 6 months, or 6 years. Only time will tell.

Do like Squatchy says and stir up your lees every few days for a couple weeks. The yeast well continue their metabolism for a little while after fermentation is finished, and they can often times clean up the off-flavors. This can help minimize the aging time needed before you've got a delicious, drinkable product.

Don't get discouraged, though. Take what you learned with this batch and make an even better one next time!

Foothiller

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 1, 2015
Sierra Foothills, CA
Very slow airlock activity can continue for quite a while if you haven't stopped the yeast with sorbate and/or sulfite. I have some batches in carboys after racking, to let the residual yeast continue to condition the finished mead. Every once in a while when I'm in my work room I can still hear a bubble.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns