• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Type of Cork Needed for Bottling

Barrel Char Wood Products

miss_rach

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2015
Guys,
Its been a long time since I used wine bottles for my meads. I got a few cases of new free wine bottles and trying to figure out what cork I can/need to use? This batch of mead I plan to setup for a good amount of time...5 - maybe 10 years. I see there are all different types an styles of corks out there these days.
What kind/type of cork do I need to get? Also, I don't need 1000 corks at a few hundred dollars..ouch!!!

Looking to bottle apx 30 bottles of mead or so.....

Cheers!

valverij

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 5, 2014
Cleveland, OH
5 or 10 years? I'd probably use 9's (real or synthetic) or Zorks (if you have the right bottles).

With Zorks and synthetics, you can leave the bottles upright. With regular corks, you're supposed to lay them on their side, but I've some stuff from some wine experts that have said that it doesn't matter, since the relative humidity is high enough in the bottle to keep the cork swelled without the wine making contact with it.

On Midwest Supplies' site, you can get a 30 pack of 9's for $5 - $10 (regular = $5, premium = $8, synthetic = $10), and a 30 pack of Zorks for ~$18.

Last edited:

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
+1 on the #9s. Tighter fit for a longer cellaring. Also try to avoid the agglomerated corks, and go with straight punch. They're a little pricier, but I think they're worth the peace of mind.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
I started bottling with crown caps a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Easier to bottle. Lasts longer than any cork. Not to say they're the answer every time. Sometimes you want a little micro oxygenation. Otherwise, synthetic corks are the way to go in my opinion. Enjoy your mead.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Third vote for #9. You can't go wrong with those, since inferior #8 cost nearly as much (and #7 aren't worth considering)

I just use regular agglomerated but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking a bottle of mead is going to be around for 10 years unless I straight forget about it (fat chance). If you're absolutely sure you're going to cellar for that long, it's worth paying premium for natural corks because those won't come apart on you.

Keep in mind that only higher ABV meads are likely to cellar that long and still be good at the end. Personally, I wouldn't save anything under 14% ABV long-term, (3 years tops under ideal conditions).

miss_rach

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2015
So for 3 years what corks do you use? Do you use natural or the other type?
Again,
I haven't used wine bottles in close to 20 years, have only been using returnable beer bottles but since I made a good amount to mead I wanted to go with the wine bottles.

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
I use natural corks, and with a hand corker I can't use the #9's. But my meads rarely last more than a year - they tend to disappear at the holiday season.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
So for 3 years what corks do you use? Do you use natural or the other type?
Again,
I haven't used wine bottles in close to 20 years, have only been using returnable beer bottles but since I made a good amount to mead I wanted to go with the wine bottles.

Agglomerated #9 corks are fine for 3 years or less. You could probably do up to 5 years with those and be ok. The conditions you age the mead under are more important than the cork you use; a dark cool cellar with a bad cork is better than a 90-degree sunny window with an excellent cork.

I've never had to buy virgin wine bottles, either. I've gotten several cases of very decent 750ml bottles in a fairly short time by asking co-workers for their empties. If that option isn't available for you, check out a bar or a recycling center to see if they will give you some. Taking the labels off and cleaning the empties can be a pain but it gets easier the more you do it. When you use wine bottles, don't bother with screw-top type. Even if they can take a cork, those bottles have a weaker neck that can break under a corker's force and ruin a perfectly good bottle of mead. If you can, avoid empties from cheap wine (Charles Shaw, and other brands in that grade) since they are lightweight and just not as nice, though they will do the job in a pinch. A decent burgundy or bordeaux bottle is sturdy and has a nice punt on the bottom.

Last edited:

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com

I sometimes bottle a large batch of mead in wine bottles (for sharing at dinner), with a couple dozen 10-ounce (or 16-ounce) beer bottles -- perfect for two, or to take camping. Fits quite nicely in the cooler in and around the ice.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns