• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BOMM Challenge - 5/3/16 Episode

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mondor

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Virginia, USA
Catching up on my Got Mead Live podcasts and just listened to the 03 May 16 episode. Is the BOMM challenge actually a thing? If so, and the deadline for entering is still 01 June, then I am all in. I have been working on a cherry chocolate wildflower BOMM recipe.

Is anyone else planning on doing this?

Mondor

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Virginia, USA
I saw the recipe on the mead log. Looks like it will be nice. I think I am going to go with a chocolate BOMM. Got my smack pack and Fermaid O resupplies in today. Will work up the recipe particulars over the next few days and go for it. Actually have a about two gallons of cherry juice as well as frozen cherries. Hmmm, perhaps a chocolate cherry mead? So many options, so few fermenters.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'm going to go out of my comfort zone and make a hibiscus BOMM. The flowers are blooming all over the neighborhood and I'm going picking this weekend. It's going to be a journey of discovery for all of us. That means I have no idea if it's going to suck! :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
June first is the kick in the pants I need to actually get a mead started, and I already had the smack pack sitting here. I think what I'm going to do is use the golden honey I always use, plus a kilogram of buckwheat honey for a bit of added complexity, which is what I've done for every one of my 5 gal traditionals. I want to see how the BOMM protocol will affect the taste of the finished product, since I already know what a mead made with this honey combination should taste like when made with EC-1118.

Now I just need to go bottle something first so I can free up a secondary vessel for it when the time comes!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I smacked my smack pack tonight so I'm committed to do something with it tomorrow. Brewlog is here. Or will be, when I get off my butt and type the rest of it.

Mondor

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Virginia, USA
Pitched mine on the first. Ramped the recipe down to a cherry BOMM sans the chocolate. Looking to make a carbonated drink for hot summer days. It's in the meadlog but OG was 1.070 and down to 1.020 the morning of the fourth. Looking good so far. Had a mead tasting/party at the house today and showed a passel of folks the active fermentation. Got a few comments on the must smelling good, even though it looked a bit suspect.

jwaldo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2016
Northern Virginia
So, is there going to be a tasting on the show? Is there a place to send a sample bottle? I'd love to get reactions from the hosts on a bunch of BOMM's

Thanks,
Jim.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
It's real but it was always something informal. The idea was to get a bunch of gotmeaders to make a BOMM and call in with your BOMM story. There was never a "competition" but more of like a "group brew" situation.

It would be difficult (but not impossible) for the hosts to try the BOMMs due to the fact that the two main hosts, Vicky and AJ live in Canada (AJ aka Chevette Girl) and the Carolinas (having a brain fart) north or south and Hamish and I (the boys that snuck in) in Austrailia! and Miami Beach.

I will bring it up with AJ and Vicky and see if we will try organizing a tasting. (How, I have no idea!)

But for Pete's sake, don't let that stop anyone from making BOMM! It's a great mead and the more mead you make, the better off you are!

jwaldo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2016
Northern Virginia
Hosts would not have to all taste the same BOMM. Could be a bottle sent here, one there, etc. So, not a contest per se, just a 'challenge'. I think the listening audience would like to hear what experienced tasters observe and think. I would personally love for any one of the hosts to comment on one of my BOMMs and say, too much honey, not enough age, too many fusels, not dry enough for the style, too much/little oak - whatever. If a particularly good one was encountered, the mazer could be asked for the recipe. I think a lot of people would appreciate getting a data point. (Bearing in mind that not everyone likes everything, so what you get is a free opinion. Different styles could be sent to different hosts if one likes mels, another meths, etc.)

Hey hosts - free mead !

Thanks,
Jim.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Hmmmmm. Hard to say no to free mead. I think that's do-able although after the summer so the heat doesn't destroy the mead.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Sorry jwaldo, work's been insane the last few weeks. I'm certainly not adverse to the idea but the experienced tasters you want would be Vicky and Pete :).

I do like the idea of everyone cracking open a bottle of the same person's BOMM and discussing it on the podcast though, might expand my taste experience and would definitely be great feedback for anyone who wants to get some of their mead publicly reviewed.

It's just a bit expensive for someone to do, since I'm in Ontario, Mannye's in Florida and Vicky's in North Carolina. So there are seasonal considerations that might make this a spring/fall thing as I wouldn't want someone's mead shipped to me to freeze :)

jwaldo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2016
Northern Virginia
Chevette Girl. No worries - I understand the intrusion of work into having fun.

Fall is almost here. I have a handful of 325ml bottles (half bottles) and would be happy to invest in the shipping to y'all for an opinion. I'm pretty sure there are others like me. (And, I have a BOMM that was started at the behest of this challenge.)

You may not consider yourself a super experienced taster, but you do have an educated palate by dent of all the meads you have been exposed to. I think you have a valued opinion even it it is I do/do not like it. (I'm pretty sure you can go into a lot more detail than that.)

Let's do this ! It will be super interesting and the discussion can venture around the styles, types and the wide range that the BOMM can be used to express. Be cool to get Bray involved too !

Thanks,
Jim.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Sure thing! Anyone that wants to send us the BOMM from the BOMM challenge PM me and I'll coordinate the sending.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns