• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Back to Basics - Stabilization

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
So we talked to our very own WayneB about stabilization during the Back to Basics segment on the June 21 show.

The bottom line is if you're bottling something with any residual sugar (or if you need to backsweeten), you either need time or some other form to make sure you're not going to get bottle bombs.

We discussed waiting it out, racking and clearing, cold-crashing, filtration, and chemical stabilization using potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, the standard one-two punch to knock out your yeast and keep it from getting silly ideas once its job is done.

If anyone has any more questions or needs further clarification on anything we said, here's the place to ask!

We will be discussing backsweetening on the show of July 5!

EvolvingCaveman

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Oct 8, 2015
Conway,AR
You did not say anything about aging and stabilization last time.
It seems that I have read about potassium sorbate does
not age well. It produces bubblegum flavors over time?
Campden tablet (potassium metabisulfite) does allow
the mead to age well. Can you discuss this and
how soon you can back sweeten after adding the two
chemicals?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I haven't heard about this bubblegum flavour from sorbate, but if other bacteria get to it, it can taste like geraniums smell, so this is why you want to use the sulfites when you use the sorbate. I'll see if I can find anything on that in the meantime, and we'll make sure we discuss timing during the show. Personally, I always get airlock activity for a few days after stabilizing so I usually wait a week or two before backsweetening and then I check the SG a few times in the following weeks to make sure it is actually stabilized properly before I bottle.

And jflanigan, good question, you're right, we didn't really cover that in either the stabilization segment or either of the fruit segments of the show. The short answer is that it depends on whether you want a gentle fermentation of the fruit you add in secondary, or whether you are more interested in using the fruit to sweeten the must up a little and don't want it to ferment at all. Think of it like adding wine vs grape juice for how different the flavour would be in your mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns