• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Back to Basics - Backsweetening

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
So something turned out a little drier than you'd prefer? Here's how you can fix it... we'll be discussing several different methods and who prefers which way and why they prefer it. We will be discussing this topic on Gotmead Live on July 5th.

If you have specific questions you'd like answered on the subject of backsweetening, post 'em here and we'll make sure we address it on the show!

We've already got one question from jflanigan244 about stabilizing before adding fruit in secondary, and a few more from EvolvingCaveman including how long to wait after stabilizing before backsweetening.

Mikeymu

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2012
Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire
Hi. I have an oak leaf mead which was stabilised some time ago. It is twelve months old and too dry for our tastes. I don't mind waiting for it to clear again if I use honey, as I've used in the past, but cannot help wondering what it would taste like if I used the non-fermentable wine sweetener I just purchased.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I have some of that stuff too (wine conditioner, for use in stabilized wines), Mikeymu, although I've never used it on a mead, only on wines. Well, there's only one way to find out!! Pour yourself a glass of the mead and test it! See how it tastes! I'll ask around on the show to see if anyone has any experience with that or other nonfermentable sweeteners. Do you happen to know the ingredients in what you've got?

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
I also have the wine sweetener for use in stabilized wines. But the key is the stabilized part.

Mine is Inverted sugar and/or High Fructose Corn Syrup. Both of these are fermentable.

Mikeymu

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2012
I have some of that stuff too (wine conditioner, for use in stabilized wines), Mikeymu, although I've never used it on a mead, only on wines. Well, there's only one way to find out!! Pour yourself a glass of the mead and test it! See how it tastes! I'll ask around on the show to see if anyone has any experience with that or other nonfermentable sweeteners. Do you happen to know the ingredients in what you've got?

Hi.

"Ritchies" wine sweetener contains Glycerol, Propylene glycol & Aspartame.

I purchased this because I reasoned that having three different ingredients would mean that no ingredient would stand out in the resultant taste.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I hope you caught the show last night Mikeymu, we did cover this and our various experiences with other artificial sweeteners! I have tried using Splenda and Vicky and I both have limited experience with Stevia. What we've found is that less is more, and most of us prefer either backsweetening with honey or blending with an oversweet batch to using nonferrmentable or artificial sweeteners for taste reasons but if for whatever reason you can't stabilize it (either problems with stabilizing chemicals or you're trying to bottle-carbonate), go easy on them or you will be able to taste it.

Mikeymu

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2012
I hope you caught the show last night Mikeymu, we did cover this and our various experiences with other artificial sweeteners! I have tried using Splenda and Vicky and I both have limited experience with Stevia. What we've found is that less is more, and most of us prefer either backsweetening with honey or blending with an oversweet batch to using nonferrmentable or artificial sweeteners for taste reasons but if for whatever reason you can't stabilize it (either problems with stabilizing chemicals or you're trying to bottle-carbonate), go easy on them or you will be able to taste it.

thanks I would have liked to watch the show but missed it, not knowing when or how I could watch it. The advice in the above post though is very helpful. :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Mikeymu, you can catch all the Gotmead Live back issues in a bunch of different places, just google "gotmead live", it's faster than me tracking down the link I have bookmarked :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns