• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Piña Colada Melomel Early Fermentation Peter-Out

Barrel Char Wood Products

tjstruve

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2016
I mixed in the following 6.5-gallon recipe back in April:

Two 20-oz cans of chunked pineapple including juice
six young coconuts including water
two 32-oz cartons of coconut water
one lb organic coconut palm sugar
two small bags of sweetened dried coconut flakes
12 lbs wildflower honey
Spring water to 6.5 gallons
1 pack Lalvin D-47
3 tsp yeast energizer
3 tsp yeast nutrient

OG: 1.145
FG: 1.054

My issue is that I believe I used too many fermentables, and my FG is higher than I would like it to be (ideally I'd like it closer to 1.02). I thought it might've been a pH issue, but I tested the pH levels and they didn't even read, which leads me to believe that they are within the desired range. I added calcium bi-carbonate just to be safe, without results.

I repitched a different yeast (EC-1118) more than a month ago (made a starter with the same mead but pitched it after only a few hours since it was building up all kinds of pressure), and thought that was doing the trick since I thought I saw foam, but again, my FG has not changed.

I'm getting scared that I'll lose the batch and would just love to hear some insight from the group.

Masbustelo

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2014
It should still be willing to ferment. It looks like your at around 11% alc. The most obvious thing to me is your pH, which you don't really know what it is. Also you randomely added some calcium without knowing where you were?/are.

tjstruve

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2016
Correction: I used POTASSIUM bi-carbonate, knowing that my pH level is below 4.6 and therefore potentially more acidic than it should be. I apologize for my initial typo.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
$.6 is way above the limit. I usually wont even begin to start to check it all the time unless it get down to 3.2. If/when you start using fermaid -o you wont have to check it at all as the "O" does a great job at buffering.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns