• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

cyser question

Barrel Char Wood Products

heathd666

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 3, 2013
Indpls In
https://www.russwhaley.com/home-cooking-apple-pie-cyser/

so i have made this recipe (above) alot and had very good results but i recently bought 6 gallons of frozen apple cyser with no preservative in it. however it mentions a caution on the label that the cider may contain bacteria etc. im guessing they put the warning on there just in case something happens. so should i sanitize the cider before pitching or keep doing as i usually do here are the ingredients i am using. i have never used actual cider before i have always used apple juice. anyone have any tips or etc that could help me with a better mead would be appreciated. ive also never used pectic enzyme but since this is a cider and after looking through the numerous cyser methods on here im caught up with a should i or not question of its use.

6 - gallons apple cider
4 - pounds honey (use 2 pounds for primary fermentation and reserve the 1/2 pound for backsweetening/priming)
4 - pounds dark brown sugar
2 - Tablespoon McCormick Apple Pie Spice (or, make your own)
6 - cinnamon sticks
2 - 5 gram package red star cote de blanc

after fermentation i add for backsweetening

1 - lb honey
4 - cans apple juice concentrate

Heat up 4 lbs honey just until it was not chunky. Stuck honey into a 12 qt pan which was inside of a 16 gt pan filled with water. Slowly brought heat up so as not to boil and liquidize honey. while waiting for honey Add a little brown suger to blender mixed with apple cider and mix. Do this for all 4 lbs of brown suger and the apple cider. Rehydrate (x2) 5 gram packets of cotes des blancs yeast in ½ cup water that is around 95 degrees. Add 2 tablespoons of apple pie spice to the must. Mix with apple cider and blend add to must. Mix honey with apple cider must and blend. Do this until all 4 pounds of honey are used this adds oxygen to the must as well as blends everything together. Pitch the yeast and add 1 ounce of cinnamin sticks about 6 sticks.

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
I won't comment on the recipe, because it's not how I approach a cyser. Just be aware that fermented molasses (dark brown sugar) tastes like crap to some people (I hate it).

As for the cider, yes you need to treat it with potassium metabisulfite first thing. The amount to use is a function of pH. For pH between 3.0 and 3.4 use 50 ppm k-meta, above 3.4 use 100 ppm.

I normally add pectic enzyme 12 hrs after the sulfite, then rack off the pectin mud that settles about 12 hrs later. Then mix up your recipe and continue. It also works to add the enzyme when you pitch yeast but your lees will be a lot thicker with the settled pectin.

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
I won't comment on the recipe, because it's not how I approach a cyser. Just be aware that fermented molasses (dark brown sugar) tastes like crap to some people (I hate it).

As for the cider, yes you need to treat it with potassium metabisulfite first thing. The amount to use is a function of pH. For pH between 3.0 and 3.4 use 50 ppm k-meta, above 3.4 use 100 ppm.

I normally add pectic enzyme 12 hrs after the sulfite, then rack off the pectin mud that settles about 12 hrs later. Then mix up your recipe and continue. It also works to add the enzyme when you pitch yeast but your lees will be a lot thicker with the settled pectin.

I like the taste of dark brown sugar. I approach this by fermenting to dry, cold crash/stabilize, the. Back sweeten with brown sugar. This way you get the taste without the fermentation. You need another 2 months to have it fully integrate into the mead.

heathd666

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 3, 2013
Indpls In
@ Maylar
i am actually looking for advice before i start the cyser its why i posted the recipe so any input would be appreciated including the recipe :)
i have never used potassium metabisulphite before but the instructions say 1/4 teaspoon for 6 gallons of must than way 24 hours before pitching yeast (its by ld carlson company) i apoligoze but i have no idea how to add it for parts per million or ppm. i can measure the ph using ph strips. can you explain? thanks in advance for the advice i know alot of people take alot of their personal time out of their busy days to post on here and i appreciate it all. i have only been making mead since 2012 or so but ill always be a newbee because i will always be learning. also how would you go about the recipe different? i was actually thinking of just adding honey until i get the gravity reading i want instead of the brown suger but wasnt sure if it would throw the balance of the recipe off. your recipe is probably one that i have skimmed while looking for advice in the previose posts here. but i have found there are as many recipes for cyser as there are ford rangers ...alot lol The ph is 3.4-3.5.

@caduseus
thanks for the advice the last couple batches i have done with this recipe i ussually let it sit in secondary 6 months or so after back sweetening.

Last edited:

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
1/4 tsp per 6 gallons is the standard 50 ppm dose, and at 3.4-3.5 pH I would make it a "rounded" 1/4 tsp. You'll be fine. I've never had an infected batch at that level.

As for your recipe, powdered spices are generally discouraged. They don't really mix well. Much better to use whole spices that you can easily remove later.

Back sweetening should be done to taste, not by some recipe amount. Every batch & palate is different.

I like the taste of dark brown sugar. I approach this by fermenting to dry, cold crash/stabilize, the. Back sweeten with brown sugar. This way you get the taste without the fermentation.

Yup, after fermentation.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
For preventing wild yeast from gaining a toe hold you can also simply use Campden tabs. They use K-meta (and filler) at a concentration that will provide sufficient free SO2 to inhibit wild yeast and other spoilage bacteria (the SO2 itself will dissipate within 24 hours) and the SO2 will also inhibit the must from oxidizing so each time you rack you might add 1 crushed tablet (perhaps dissolved in water) per gallon to each carboy you intend to rack into. Standard dosage is 1 tablet per gallon of juice or must and this will generally provide you with enough and not too much SO2 without any need to measure the ppm or pH for most home wine making projects. To use K-meta to sanitize equipment you need to use the K-meta at far greater concentrations.

heathd666

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 3, 2013
Indpls In
awesome thanks for the reply's i appreciate your time. i added the potassium metabisulfite (1/4 tsp) going to pitch yeast tomorrow. pectin enzyme says to add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon so i will do that after a bit. once again thanks for the reply's.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns