• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Troubleshooting and fixing issues

Barrel Char Wood Products

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
Hey Guys,

I followed the TOSNA on my last batch and made a mistake. I think now the results have appeared. my mead has a "sour" flavor to it. That sour (to me) reflects the mistake I made but doesn't make it undrinkable but more like a flavor portion of the mead to troubleshoot and fix (hide maybe). the off flavor is probably 30% of the overall body, the rest being the honey flavor and what I call "white wine" flavor of the alchohol.

so, to help facilitate any suggested solutions, my mistake (I assume) was that I dosed my must with too much fermaid-o; for example, to start, I gave the must the 4th dose after 1/3 sugar break. second, my yeast choice likely had a "very low" nutrient need but I calculated with 'medium' needs. so I think I effectively made a metheglyn with the flavor-spice being that of fermaid-o.

ok, so what could I do now (besides wait on aging)? how could I recover from this 'sour' flavor and/or what else could be done?

Thanks

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
I was of the understanding that any unused Fermaid O would just drop out. You probably need to give us a few more details. Recipe and process notes? Especially how long it fermented for? Did you rack it and when? Secondary aging? Cold crash? Fining agents? Did it clear?

Last edited:

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
Yeah, my luck with clarity is some what foggy ... the mead still has suspended stuff. so then the details, in a 6.5 gallon food grade pail, I:

combined 6 quarts honey (my own), 5 gallon local spring water. 6and1/2 gallons of pre pitch must (68deg) at 1.100 OG. I go-fermed the yeast (m05 mangrove jacks mead) and acclimated it (pitched) to must over an hour on May 22 2017. after pitch I gave it pure O2 for 3min from a .5u stone, I assume "lightly" (how do you rate O2 provision, cubically?). post pitch OG was 1.095. the fermaidO calculation showed a dosage was ~25G for 6gal and 6g per 1/4 dose.

over the next 3 days, twice a day, the must was stirred for degassing and aerated manually. once a day it was aerated with pure O2 for at least 1 minute after stirring in the 1/4 dose of the fermaid-o. the following week I degassed and stirred daily (twice daily for a few days) to raised the lees all the while checking the SG and sniff checks. after a week I settle to raising the lees (lengthy gentle stir) every 2 days to have this ferment curve:

day 01 may 22 pm: 1.095 (post pitch)
day 02 may 23 am: 1.088 (at this 24 hour mark add 1/4 dose of fermaid o)
day 03 may 24 pm: 1.073 (2nd 1/4 fermO dose)
day 04 may 25 pm: 1.060 (3rd 1/4 dose fermO, also last pure O2 aeration)
day 05 may 26 am: 1.052
day 06 may 26 pm: 1.046 (last twice daily degass/aerate)
day 07 may 28 pm: 1.029 (4th dose of fermaid-o)
day 08 may 29 pm: 1.015
day 09 may 30 pm: 1.008
day 10 may 31 pm: 1.003
day 11 jun 01 pm: 1.000
day 13 jun 03 pm: 1.000
day 15 jun 05 pm: 1.000 (after a good stir, move, siphone the mead to 3 gal carboys)

eventually I let the must settle for several days and racked it when I had a lees pile I could "clearly" see. the two 3gal meads that I could gaze into and distinguish the lees pile through to the other side of the carboy were racked to new clean 3 gal carboys. I topped off both new carboy's headspace with nitrogen and plugged it with an airlock of sanitizer. that was july 22nd at about 2 months.

so since then, I've watched it and watched it and it hasn't cleared much beyond that initial rack and so I dove into it. on oct 22, 6 months into the mead batch, I pulled out a glass and found the taste to have a sourness to it. it's not lime sour; it's not salty sour; it's like the sour you get with vodka sours ... chemical-ish-fake-like sourness.

anyways ... thoughts?

thanks

Last edited:

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Have you made a traditional mead (Honey, water, yeast and nutrients) before? Sounds to me like you are describing what a dry a traditional might taste like. Especially if it might have some yeast or Fermaid O still floating around in it. You may want to use a finning agent (I like Super-Kleer), then take a glass of it and try backsweetening it. See if that makes a difference. If it does, you'll probably want to stabilize the whole batch, backsweeten and then let it age for another couple of months.

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
this 6gal effort is my 3rd batch ever. The 1st two were traditionals as well, but 3gal each, pitch-and-leave-like. they came out just fine, if only too much honey profile made it to the taste. in my first mead attempts, and my first mistake, I used my crappiest honey, a very strong buck wheat.

anyways, with this batch I chose to follow TOSNA and my intention was to actually use all the different additives for mental exercise. however, I didn't get a fining agent. maybe some cold crashing would also help.

I'll move on that clearing and see what changes.

thanks

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns