• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Started first mead with little/no information. Should I intervene now?

Barrel Char Wood Products

miabeewood

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2018
Denver, CO
After watching every mead-making youtube video under the sun, I decided to try making mead. 4 days ago, I picked up some basic equipment and ingredients and got a 1 gallon batch going. In my excitement to learn more and find recipes for my next batch, I found this site and realized that I did not give my first attempt at mead its best chance.

Here's what I put together:
2.5 lbs honey
1 packet Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, pitched per its instructions
Spring water to reach a gallon

This was all placed in a 1 gallon jug with an airlock and tucked away in a dark, cool corner of my house. Now that I've read the NewBee Guide and am making my way through the forums, I know that I'm missing several pieces. No nutrients have been added and I didn't measure the SG. The mead formed a nice krausen and began bubbling through the airlock ~36 hours after being placed in the jug. I'm wondering if I should be adding nutrients now that I know better (without the gravity readings?) or just let this one go with the flow. Related, I'm terrified about taking measurements and adding things while it's fermenting. Doesn't opening it up allow contaminants in?

Note: I'm aware that this will be a very dry mead. That was intended.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Yep, it will be very dry and not a lot of people like dry mead, but that can all be fixed. Once the fermentation is over and you've "stabilized", you can then add some honey to the sweetness that you like.

Of course, because you didn't feed your yeast, do any degassing or temperature control, it will not be drinkable for several months :)

Yep, read the NewBee guide, watch the Meadology series, on YouTube, by The Canadian Sasquatch (he just made the 9 episodes into a book) and pay particualr attention to episodes 6 and 7. Also, start listening to the gotmead podcast series, on Modern Mead Making, starting on September 5, 2017. You can find a link for them under gotmead radio, on the home page.

Not sure if you should bother with nutrients at this point. With EC-1118, your fermentation is probably close to being finished. FYI - that yeast is notorious for fermenting too aggressively, thus losing aroma and taste.

Start learning about Fermaid O (or Fermaid K) and rehydrating with Goferm. Check out meadmaderight.com.

If you don't have one, GET A HYDROMETER and learn how to use it. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to use one.

Opening and working on your mead will become a common practice and as long as you use some common sense, clean and sanitized equipment, you should be fine. Opening up could let contaminants in, but it's rare. Don't cough in it! :) Use common sense.

Last edited:
D

Devin Petry-Johnson

From what I've heard, EC-1118 is a powerhouse. It will probably eat through that amount of sugar pretty easily and not require too much intervention on your part. Without a gravity reading, you can't tell how far along this is, so my guess is that it will finish without any problems, but I am still new so some more experienced people might come in here and correct me.

You shouldn't really be worried about taking measurements and opening the fermenter. As long as you are sanitizing everything then it's only a very small risk. After fermentation you need to be mindful of not adding oxygen, but it's also nothing to panic over.

My (newbee) suggestions would be to let it sit for a month, swirl it every couple of days to try to keep the yeast in suspension, and then rack to another vessel to get it off the yeast cake on the bottom and begin the clearing process. Worst case scenario: you have to let it age for several months to smooth out.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hiya Miabeewood - and welcome.
A couple of quick thoughts: most of the anxiety around fermentation comes from brewers and not so much from wine makers. Grain, you see, and so beer is incredibly open to bacterial "infection" Grain is covered with lacto-bacteria - and lacto bacteria can sour beer (literally). Think lacto fermented pickles. But to sour vegetables you need to add salt to both encourage the lacto bacteria and discourage other organisms. Honey (and fruit) does not seem to be so susceptible to those organisms and both the levels of acidity and alcohol tend to kill volunteer organisms so whereas brewers bang home a bung and avoid touching their brews until they are ready to package wine and mead makers tend to be far more laid back, view degassing (by stirring) their meads a couple of times a day as standard practice, and view taking gravity readings through-out the active stage of fermentation as a non issue. Indeed, as long as your sanitation protocol is up to scratch (perhaps use the sulfur dioxide produced by K-meta as your preferred sanitizer rather than the cleaners that brewers use) you can happily return samples to the primary fermenter with no care or fear.

While I very strongly agree that you need an hydrometer, you can in fact easily calculate starting gravity close enough for playing horseshoes if not archery or darts. One pound of honey dissolved in water to make a US gallon will raise the gravity of the water from 1.000 to 1.035. Two pounds will raise the gravity to 1.070 and 2.5 will raise the gravity another 17 points , to 1.087. A starting gravity of about 1.087 when fully fermented will give you a mead with an ABV (alcohol by volume ) of about 11.5% (my rule of thumb: multiply the starting gravity - finishing gravity by 131. For horseshoes that's good enough). Good luck.

miabeewood

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2018
Denver, CO
Thank you, everyone, for the information! This is incredibly helpful.

@darigoni
I've now read through the entire NewBee guide, each chapter at least once. Starting the Meadology youtube series and podcast now, and will look into the Fermaids and GoFerm. Will also be picking up a hydrometer this weekend as I set up a second batch (done right!). These resources are amazing. I really appreciate it. There's so much information online (often conflicting) and it can be hard to sort through it all.

@Devin
Good to know on the timing estimate for racking and drinkability. I'm planning to get a hydrometer and use that to figure out when to rack, but it's nice to have an idea of the timeframe I'm looking at. I swirled it as soon as I got home and the activity picked right up, so I'll make sure to continue doing that to keep the yeast suspended.

@bernardsmith
Thank you for the reassurance on opening the jug. My experience with brewing up until now has been watching my father and brother brew beer, so you are spot on regarding the source of anxiety. I really appreciate the explanation of why they are different. Thank you, also, for the gravity estimate! That is a handy formula! For my very first mead attempt, I'll take close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades. Next time, I'll be sure to have the readings.

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Hydrometer !hydrometer!Hydrometer.
Yeast nutrients at all?
temps?
Did I say hydrometer?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns