• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAOM question (larger batches)

Barrel Char Wood Products

archyball

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Jan 28, 2018
Tewksbury, MA
Hi all. Newbie here. I've been reading a lot of books as well as posts here on the forums to better understand the mead making process. I have one 1 gallon batch of JAOM under my belt and was pleasantly surprised by the results. I also have a 3 gallon batch of traditional mead going where I'm trying to get used to the overall process.

While that 3 gallon batch is going, I thought I'd start a bigger batch of JAOM to share with family and friends. My question is: If I were to bump up the recipe to a 5+ gallon batch, would you suggest a 5 gallon carboy of a 5+ gallon plastic fermentation bucket? I have a 6.5 gallon plastic fermentation bucket but I'm thinking there might be too much headspace for the mead to sit there post fermentation. I'm also thinking I might need to open the top periodically b/c I can't see if the mead has cleared or if the fruit has settled. This might release a lot/all of the CO2. What are your thoughts and what have you done in the past?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and have enjoyed reading your responses to other members' posts.

D

Devin Petry-Johnson

Since no one else has chimed in yet I will add my two cents. I think 5 gallons of mead in a 6.5 gallon bucket would be ok until it clears. You might not want to leave it for more than you have to. Yes, the CO2 will dissipate when you're opening the lid, so just check every week or so until it's ready to rack.

If you're worried about it you can just ferment in the carboy, but getting the oranges out will be a pain. If it were me, I'd calculate the recipe out to about 5.5 gallons and ferment in the bucket. Hopefully with the added fruit you'll be right near the top. Then when it clears I would rack over to the 5 gallon carboy.

I hope that helps. Cheers!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I would move it over to a carboy around 1020 or so. If you let it sit for 90 days exposed to the air that would have an impact on the flavor profile.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I make 5 gallon batches of JAOM all the time in 5 gallon carboys. It's always the most popular easy mead I make. My advice is to quintuple the one gallon recipe and have at it. I also make a popular variant that uses meyer lemons instead of oranges and the extra tartness of the Meyers makes for the best JAOM I've ever made.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns