• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

High alcohol mead tastes hot

Barrel Char Wood Products

Runic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 10, 2018
I made a batch of cyser that clocks in at 18% (the limit of ec-1118.) and it's quite hot. The alcohol flavor really shines, which is putting quite a damper on my drink in my of it. I plan on storing some away in bottles for extended aging, however...

Would back sweetening with a bit of honey help diffuse the alcohol flavor? I don't want to go crazy with it, but in my 20 gallon batch, maybe a quart ladle or 2 just to even things out? I've scoured the interwebs and have only come up with aging as a reliable option, and the length of time that would take in a best guess between 6 months and a few years. Any help is appreciated

~Andrew

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Aging, back sweetening, and oak are your best bets.

18% abv is pretty high. I find that alcohol starts to be the main focus of the flavour once you get above about 14%. If you want a more complex flavour and be able to taste the subtlety of a mead I find the sweet spot is 11-13%.

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You can roll off the edge some by adding Hungarian Oak Med toast, along with backsweetening. I would back sweeten a little bit. Just under what you want it to be. Then add oak for a few months. Then come back and adjust the sweetness level again. It's not worth making high ABV meads. It's not easy at all to get a good balance with flavor profiles and Alcohol.

Runic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 10, 2018
You can roll off the edge some by adding Hungarian Oak Med toast, along with backsweetening. I would back sweeten a little bit. Just under what you want it to be. Then add oak for a few months. Then come back and adjust the sweetness level again. It's not worth making high ABV meads. It's not easy at all to get a good balance with flavor profiles and Alcohol.

Thanks for the help guys. Squatchy, I'm now realizing, after 4 batches, that super high abv meads aren't worth it. I still enjoy them, but I think I'll switch gears and start making lower abv meads

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Thanks for the help guys. Squatchy, I'm now realizing, after 4 batches, that super high abv meads aren't worth it. I still enjoy them, but I think I'll switch gears and start making lower abv meads

Go learn how to make great traditionals at 11-12%. You will learn more doing that than anything. Nothing can hide in a trad. So when you get that. you will have raised the bar for everything

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Gotta agree with Squatchy. Best to focus on making a good traditional at wine levels of alcohol. If you really want to drink high octane "mead" you could do worse than adding some honey to a glass of vodka or scotch. Add some lemon juice and a splash of water and that's a toddy.. It ain't mead but it's very drinkable and though I don't know your mead , it is almost certainly better than most
mead made at 18% ABV.;)

Robert Scogins

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 29, 2018
Homestead, MT
Although new at mead, I made one at 14%, and it was "warm", but I think that has a good chance of ageing out. Will let everyone know at the 6 month and 1 year mark.

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
I always aim for 12% when trying a new mead. Establish my baseline and adjust as required.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

D

Devin Petry-Johnson

I agree with all the advice above. You might also consider letting it "breathe" before you drink it. Pour it in a glass and let it interact with air for 10-20 minutes. Drink it cold, perhaps with an ice cube.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns