• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A Different Mead Group

Barrel Char Wood Products
W

Wheresthemead!

Can anyone suggest a different mead group to join?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Dude. You are very odd. You asked about using less honey than the recipe calls for. It even says not to do something different or all bets are off. I ask you about it and you take offense. And now you come post this? What do you want from us? How old are you anyway?

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
There's a "Modern Mead" Makers Facebook group that's pretty good.

FYI. The recipe for JAOM specifically states to follow the recipe exactly, as it breaks all the rules, but it is the sum of it's parts. If you don't add the correct amount of honey, it will be dry (not sweet) which will accentuate the bitterness of the orange pith (not to mention very few people like a dry mead).

Using a balloon (instead of an airlock) and NOT using a hydrometer are actually part of the JAOM instructions.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

piojo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 12, 2017
Homebrewtalk has a mead subforum. I don't really know the people there, but it's active. Reddit has a mead subforum, but I get the impression it's mostly newbies posting their first meads. It probably also has greybeards, but they're responding rather than posting. I heard there is a good Facebook group for mead, but haven't tried it.

I don't know the context and am trying not to take sides, but if you look at this is a serious endeavor, you might need to grow thicker skin, just as you would need to put up with your colleagues in a job. Are you here for fun, or to make mead? I'm not here for fun.

W

Wheresthemead!

Yes, I am odd. Thank you for pointing that out. I realized I had asked the wrong question about that recipe when I woke up this morning. My age is of no concern.
My apologies for taking offense.

Last edited:

Bleedmead

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 11, 2018
Upstate New York
For what it's worth redditors post a lot of pictures so it's good to see what infections look like, what various finished meads look like and supplies they use. Reddit is also littered with people that have no regard for researching modern best practices. You'll find on reddit all the people you need that will tell you how to modify your JAOM despite the instructions explicitly saying not to. If you want to customize something then start with a traditional. It's super basic and simple, and unlike JAOM, the experience you gain from making your traditional will actually improve your mead making as a whole.

W

Wheresthemead!

There's a "Modern Mead" Makers Facebook group that's pretty good.

FYI. The recipe for JAOM specifically states to follow the recipe exactly, as it breaks all the rules, but it is the sum of it's parts. If you don't add the correct amount of honey, it will be dry (not sweet) which will accentuate the bitterness of the orange pith (not to mention very few people like a dry mead).

Using a balloon (instead of an airlock) and NOT using a hydrometer are actually part of the JAOM instructions.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Thank you for your response! When I woke up this morning I realized I had asked the wrong question in my other post. I should have asked about why people didn't make dry mead more often. You answered it here. The bitterness of the orange pith is not the taste I am looking for.

W

Wheresthemead!

Thank you for your response! Normally I have a 'thick' skin, line cooks need it to survive the madness of the kitchen. But, although this isn't an excuse but fact, I am still reeling from the death of one of my sister's dogs. He was such a sweet dog. So, my 'thick' skin deserted me. It will be back though. Usually I will give it as good as I get it.

W

Wheresthemead!

I found a recipe that is a variation of Joe's Ancient recipe before I found this place. For some reason, I can't find a traditional recipe. But, I will do this one according to the instructions. Thank you for your response!

W

Wheresthemead!

Bleedmead (great name by the way),
Just found a traditional mead. I may do that one in a couple weeks when I get more raw unfiltered honey. But first, got to do this one. It is calling me...

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
Homebrewtalk has a mead subforum. I don't really know the people there, but it's active. Reddit has a mead subforum, but I get the impression it's mostly newbies posting their first meads. It probably also has greybeards, but they're responding rather than posting.

I'm a supporting member at HBT, mostly for the cider sub forum. Many of the posts are newbees making their first meads from crap they've seen on youtube. There are a few of us who attempt to set them straight but it's a challenge to do that.

There is a diversity of styles that make it interesting though. And Ken Schramm stops by once in a while. Bray Denard is a regular. His BOMM is a sticky there.

W

Wheresthemead!

I have 1 peach tree, 1 apple tree, and a fig tree. Soon will be planting a blackberry bush & strawberries as soon as it gets back to the 60s and stops raining. I am hoping to get a little experience of mead making under my belt before harvest. Not sure about fig mead... just saying... but fresh figs are so tasty!
I truly believe I will enjoy it as much as I do woodworking & website creating. Plus, the thought of making my own mead just feels right. Looking forward to enjoying a small glass on the deck at the end of the day.

Bleedmead

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 11, 2018
Upstate New York
Lol thank you. I'm sorry to hear about the dog. I've only begun my second batch, both traditionals, but my first is almost where I want it and it's pretty good. The process is a lot of fun and it's a whole new experience getting drunk on your own supply! Lol. Stay informed, keep looking for ways to improve and you'll be making good mead right from the start. This community is great btw.

W

Wheresthemead!

I'm a supporting member at HBT, mostly for the cider sub forum. Many of the posts are newbees making their first meads from crap they've seen on youtube. There are a few of us who attempt to set them straight but it's a challenge to do that.

There is a diversity of styles that make it interesting though. And Ken Schramm stops by once in a while. Bray Denard is a regular. His BOMM is a sticky there.

I didn't look at Youtube tutorials. The last couple years I have been doing a lot of research & reading on homemade mead. Finally got into a house, was in a fifth wheel, that has the perfect cabinet for the mead process. Plus, my two pets, a dog and a cat, can't get into the cabinets. lol

W

Wheresthemead!

Lol thank you. I'm sorry to hear about the dog. I've only begun my second batch, both traditionals, but my first is almost where I want it and it's pretty good. The process is a lot of fun and it's a whole new experience getting drunk on your own supply! Lol. Stay informed, keep looking for ways to improve and you'll be making good mead right from the start. This community is great btw.

I am definitely going to do Joe's Ancient recipe first, then a traditional one. Found a simple one. lol I don't plan on getting drunk though. Hangovers are no fun! That is why my limit will be one, possibly two small glasses. Depending on the strength of course.
I heard that most mead makers take notes. I think I have a small notebook for that.

Bleedmead

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 11, 2018
Upstate New York
Notes are highly recommended. I had one glass from my first batch the other day and got buzzed on it lol. I'm a lightweight now but I'm ok with that!

W

Wheresthemead!

Notes are highly recommended. I had one glass from my first batch the other day and got buzzed on it lol. I'm a lightweight now but I'm ok with that!

I hear mead has a high alcohol content. Which is why I plan on drinking a small glass. lol

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
It can have as little as 3% and as much as 20%. Or you can fortify it with spirits and go even higher. It all depends on how much honey you add to the batch when you start.

W

Wheresthemead!

It can have as little as 3% and as much as 20%. Or you can fortify it with spirits and go even higher. It all depends on how much honey you add to the batch when you start.

I added 3.5 pounds like the recipe calls for. Yup, dipped into my daily honey. lol

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Good deal. Had you added less honey, as you now see. It would have gone bone dry and it would be very bitter and pithy. So now that you have added more honey than the yeast can assimilate. They will tap out before it's all gone, leaving it with enough sweetness to balance it out.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns