• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

No bubbling after two weeks

Barrel Char Wood Products

mydogsrbarkin

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 4, 2019
Hello, I tried to look this up but I couldn't get accurate information. This is my first batch.

I have three questions:

My fermentation stopped after two weeks. It was bubbling along nicely at about a bubble per 10 seconds, but now it's stopped.

Here's what I used, to make one gallon.

3 lbs honey
approx 1/2 gallon of water,
cooked honey and water together in a pot, (not boiled) 20 minutes
then water to fill
1 peeled orange
20 or so raisins
Lalvin 47 yeast

I have it on my counter, my house is always between 68 and 72 degrees. I wrapped it with a dark blue towel and it was bubbling every 10 seconds or so until today. I never took an OG and SG is now 1.090. So I bet that's not helpful.

Is this normal? Is it stuck? Should I not have peeled the orange?

I just put in about 15 more raisins. Will that help?

Question #2:

When I mix up sanitizer, I fill up a small squirt bottle with some of it and when I need it, I spray whatever I need cleaned, like something I dropped on the floor, or to open the bottle to stir, Or using the hydrometer but don't want to mix up a whole new batch of sanitizer. Is this OK? Does sanitizer lose it's effectiveness after a while? I use One Step. I keep the filled spray bottle with my supplies.

Question 3: Is a half gallon jar too small to make mead?

Thanks all! I'm enjoying this new hobby!

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
Q1: Are you sure you're using the hydrometer correctly? Also, you didn't feed the yeast properly. How does it taste? 1.090 should be sickeningly sweet, you'll know immediately.

EDIT: Raisins aren't food for yeast. Fermaid O is food for yeast.

Q2: Depends on the sanitizer. StarSan should last a while, but something with sodium percarbonate doesn't store.

Q3: Pretty much, yeah. Half a gallon is tiny, trying to make a batch that size is very unbalanced, regarding yeast pitch rate, feeding, etc. etc.

mydogsrbarkin

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 4, 2019
OK thanks for those answers. So should I feed the yeast? I do have yeast nutrient. I didn't taste it. I'll do that.

Drunken_Hobbit_97

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2019
I'm having a similar problem and I think its because I didn't supply proper nutrients.

Best of luck with your mead!

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
Hi,
Ditto on the nutrients - you need them. D47 is temp sensitive, and you're right on the border line (high end) of it's tolerance. Maybe find a way to bring the temp down some (e.g. ice cold towel, but try to keep the temp fairly consistent).

3 lbs of honey, in general, is a quart (depending on water content or density of honey). That + 1/2 gallon of water and the fruit put you a lot closer to a gallon, but at least 3/4 gallon of honey of water. Small batches are harder to work with IMO, but you should shoot for at least a gallon. You can always ferment in something like a 1.5-2 gallon food grade bucket, and then rack into a gallon jug.

PH can occasionally be an issue if it gets to low, so having a digital PH meter is a good idea. My guess is the main problem for now is nutrients and temperature.

All the best!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So you started with such a high gravity if I read you right you're lucky it even got off. Especially since you missed all the things we do to make our yeast strong. Did you add 3 pounds of honey to a half-gallon of water.?

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
Thanks all! I'm enjoying this new hobby!

Welcome to the forums; mead making is an awesome hobby! Unfortunately you likely ran across most/all of the bad pieces of advice prior to starting your first mead. As Squatchy pointed out your must is really concentrated with honey, someone told you raisins will feed your yeast, and you likely did not rehydrate your yeast properly. All of that is ok! Part of the learning curve is figuring out what not to do, the other part is learning what to do. We have consolidated a lot of good information in an alternate thread: here is a link that will help you sort out what you have learned so far into keep & toss!

https://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/32197-Squatch-in-a-nut-shell?p=283179#post283179

That will take you straight to my link blast but theres a bunch of good info there.

mydogsrbarkin

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 4, 2019
No, it probably looks like I did from what I wrote, but I mixed 3 pounds of honey with a half-gallon of water, poured that into the jug, then also filled up the jar with more water.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You guys really need to go listen to the podcast here and start on 9/5/17. I walk you through the entire process using the most current additions as well as protocol. Not only do I tell you what to do. But most importantly I tell you why we do it

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns