• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bottling Ingredients with Tannin?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
I have a cyser that is just too dry and I was planning to try using tannin to even out the flavors. I was going to bottle soon, and was going to use campden tablets and sweeten with apple juice concentrate with sorbate.

Would there be any problem with using tannin at the same time as the other ingredients right before I bottle it? Tannin needs time to change the flavors right? Would the campden tablet and sorbate interfere with this process?

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
A lot of people add tannin, I have yet to do it... I like the mead i am putting into bottles... perhaps it could be better... but since I am happy I haven't messed with it.

I have however given the matter a lot of study in forums and groups such as this one.

Lots of people Sorbate and sulfite in order to prevent renewed fermentation and bottle bombs. My recomendation is to go ahead in this manner,
1 sweeten sorbate and sulfite now
2 then wait a couple weeks to add tannin, and bottle.

Test your S.G when you sweeten, and again before bottling to ensure fermentation hasn't restarted. I have read many people advocating this approach. Relying on sorbate in AJC just before bottling could be a recipe for disaster.

In adding tannin, try to use some small test samples with measured amounts... Hopefully you will be able to pick a propper amount of tannin for your desired effect and be sober enough to duplicate it in your full batch.

Wassail

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Yes I'm a bit more desperate with this batch, otherwise I would have been reluctant too.

Relying on sorbate in AJC just before bottling could be a recipe for disaster.

What problems could occuring if I do this? Is there any advantage to adding sorbate and campden tablets before tannin rather than after?

F

fred

If you are relying on the sorbate that is an ingredient in some concentrates, it might not be suficent to stop the fermentation. In which case your bottles could over-presurize and explode on you. If you are adding sorbate seperatly along with the ajc, you shouldn't run in to this problem. That being said, it would still be wise to wait a day or two before bottling just in case.

Fred

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I have a cyser that is just too dry and I was planning to try using tannin to even out the flavors. I was going to bottle soon, and was going to use campden tablets and sweeten with apple juice concentrate with sorbate.

Would there be any problem with using tannin at the same time as the other ingredients right before I bottle it? Tannin needs time to change the flavors right? Would the campden tablet and sorbate interfere with this process?

There shouldn't be an problem with using tannin along with the other ingredients. On the other hand, are you sure you want to use all of that? A dry cyser, assuming you started at a good starting gravity, should have enough alcohol to kill off the yeasties. Exceptions would be alcohol tolerant yeasts from the bayanas strain. Be sure to let the cyser sit for a good long time before adding the concentrate. The cyser must be clear -- clear enough to read newspaper through the carboy. Cloudiness could be suspended yeast along with the colloidal material that might activate with added sugar.

I've done this many times, added a little honey to sweeten a dry mead without the yeasts re-activating, but this method needs to be done carefully.

Another possibility is simply to let the cyser age. I did this with a dry cyser, very rough tasting, with a finishing gravity of about .998. Amazingly, an aging period of about 3 years or so did wonders for it. Taste improved, body and mouthfeel were good.

Hope this is helpful!

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Yeah it helps. I bottled the stuff but it still tastes bad. I knew I had to wait, but three years? It's better than pouring it down the drain i suppose.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns