View Full Version : Mold?

05-20-2004, 04:58 AM
??? I have what appears to be mold growing on the surface of one of my batches of mead. Should I rack from under it? Toss the batch? Or leave it be?

This particular batch was made by following a sweet mead recipe in Compleat Mead. The honey was not heated and no cambden tablets were added. It was a 6 gallon batch that was racked recently into several smaller containers. 2 one gallon carboys with pineapple (no mold), 1 one gallon with lavender (no mold), 1 one gallon with blackberrys (no mold) and one 3 gallon carboy with nothing added (has mold).

Any suggestions?

05-20-2004, 06:31 AM
Perhaps since the others have no mold, the 3 gallon container was not perfectly sanitized. I also sometimes use no Campden tablets and do not boil but if so one has to be extra careful to have containers that are absolutely clean and disinffected. Could that be the problem?

05-20-2004, 05:11 PM
I suppose it is possible, but I was very careful to wash this carboy out, then sanitize it because it was the first time we had used it. Should I just dump this down the drain or is there a chance that the mold has not affected it yet?