• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First oxidized mead...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Redleg

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Hey, all.

So, I was just looking over my current batches and I noticed that a pyment I had in the tertiary for the past 9 months, well...the airlock had dried out completely.

I took a taste of the resultant mead and it tasted like a pyment should taste, except one difference. The batch tasted like sherry wine.

I just found out that sherry taste is a direct result of oxidation, but the funny thing is, I think it tastes great! Whereas on one hand I feel like a complete nincompoop for letting my airlock dry out, I am kind of happy it did.

So, that batch is now in bottles, where it will stay for about a year or so.

The question now, is, will the mead improve or worsen with age?

Brian

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Good question, I'd step into rec.crafts.winemaking and ask folks there how sherry ages, then post the answer here.... in a year or two, revisit the thread and update youe real life experience.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
. . . I just found out that sherry taste is a direct result of oxidation, but the funny thing is, I think it tastes great! Whereas on one hand I feel like a complete nincompoop for letting my airlock dry out, I am kind of happy it did.

The question now, is, will the mead improve or worsen with age?

It should only improve, so long as you keep the pyment from further exposure to air. The sherry taste comes from the oxidation of ethyl alcohol to acetaldehyde. Further oxidation of the acetaldehyde can result in acetic acid, which may combine with ethyl alcohol to form ethyl acetate (a nail polish taste and aroma).

Chris Hadden was asking the folk on rec.crafts.winemaking for advice on making a maple mead with sherry flavors. Here's the URL pointer for the discussion if you're interested in reading through it (sorry, it's pretty long -- a goole seardh for "maple mead w/ sherry flavor profile " might get you there faster).

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...u%24v1qi%241%40ID-81954.news.dfncis.de&rnum=1

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns