• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

did i kill the yeast?

Barrel Char Wood Products
C

cameron pearce

i recently started my first batch of mead (like two days ago) and well im very inexperienced with brewing anything. i used a simple sounding recipe off the internet 5lbs honey, 1 can white grape juice concentrate, 2.5gal of tap water,1 packet of dry champaign yeast, and 1tsp yeast nutrient. what i did was rehydrate the yeat in a bole of water and dissolve the nutrient in a seperate bowl, i then warmed up the water till bubbles first started to form at the bottom of the pot i then put in the honey and grape concentrate and stired them till they were mixed afterwards i turned off the heat and added the nutrient to the mix i then poured it into a 5 gal bucked designed for brewing (following brewing store advice here) i added my yeast and gave it a shake. my question is did i do it alright cause right now i really have no idea what im doing and i dont see much change in it. also i plan on moving it to a 5gal glass bottle in a couple of days (again following brewing store advice) thank you in advance for your time and input.

C

cameron pearce

not very much if at all but when i picked up the pot i could still hold my hand on it without getting burnt, must have been around 100F though.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
You most likely killed the yeast by adding them while it was too hot. Get more yeast and throw it directly into your fermenter. The Sooner the better!

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Typically don't want to pitch yeast above 80F. Don't know what temperature kills them though.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns