• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Real people

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Ok, same question as before but this one is for real people. If you could speak to any three real people living or dead, who would they be?

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
My top three:

Alexander the Great
Leonardo da Vinci
Benjamin Franklin

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hmmmm....

Da Vinci... to talk to him and figure out how he could have been so far ahead of his time.

Moses or Abraham... to talk to someone that had physically talked to God in person.

Jesus... to ask him all of those tough questions about life, faith, the afterlife, those that have passed on before, life's hardships, etc. Haven't you always wondered what God thought about things and why He did what He does?

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Again... my reply would be My husband's great-great-great grand father, his wife and his brother.

Why... I'm a geneologist too... and these three people fascinate me because the lady first married the younger brother... he went off and got himself killed in a riverboat accident and then the big brother came down... left his first wife and six kids... and took up with brother's wife and had 6 more kids with her.
I'd love to find out what they are like. I have an image of all three in my head and I'd love to see how close I am to it.

I know they are no-one important to history but they are important to me. :)

P.S. I'm on batch number 7. A 3 gallon Halloween Knight Mead. HAPPY ALL HALLOW'S EVE!!

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
Caesar - He is probably the most brilliant political and military strategist in history. The greatest empire the world has even known was in his pocket, through nothing more than his own skill and prowess. I've always been facinated with the natural progression of governments, in particular from democracy to tyranny, and I am curious to talk to the person who orchestrated the most famous governmental progression in history.

Jefferson - Given the fact that all of the founding fathers were very smart guys, this one stands out to me as a head above the rest. The real brains of the operation. I want to know how these guys had so much insight into human nature, and the nature of government, so as to write a generic document of guiding principals that is just as fundamentally important today as it was 200+ years ago. We've been through societal upheaval, war after war after war, technological innovation that they couldn't have dreamed of, and yet, the Constitution is just as relevant as it was then. Mind boggling.

Nimitz - Military genius. Nice guy. I've always been facinated by the Pacific War, particularly in the early stages where we were down for the count. At Midway the score was evened, and that seems like a genuine stroke of luck. I don't really believe in luck, I think you make your own luck. And I want to hear first hand how he did it. I've read all about it, but that's not the same.

ronjohn55

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2003
Sure,

My mom is just because I'd like to be able to talk to her again.

St. Peter - I'd love to hear what REALLY happened, less any translation changes or historical license that may have taken place over the years. You know, kinda "The horse's mouth".

Harry Truman - This is the man who had to make one the single most difficult decisions in modern history (To use the bomb or not). And complicating it all was the fact that he was suceeding an American Political icon (FDR) at the same time. It would be interesting to hear what he was thinking.

John

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Alexander - The greatest military genius on the battlefield. Always led his troops into battle, never lost, never retreated, extended his empire into India. So great was his prowess in battle that Caesar wept when he passed a statue of Alexander on one of his own campaigns because he would not be able to match Alexander's accomplishments at such a young age. But the main reason is because once he defeated the armies of an empire, he incorporated the peoples into the extended Greco/Macedonian realm of influence not by beating them into submission but by respecting their cultures, their religions, their customs and their culture. The people of the empires he conquered would watch in awe as he routed their armies, then in fear as he took control of their land, and then in admiration as he respected their people, properties and heritage.

Leonardo da Vinci - Here's a guy who painted, sculpted, invented, innovated and influenced our modern life in so many ways. I'd like to know what drove him, what was it that was so deep inside him that fired his imagination, fueled his passion and inspired his creative genius. Many of his works have been said to contain hidden meanings, symbolism and arcane references. I'd like to ask him about them and if they are really there, or if they are the machinations of the modern mind and merely speculative.

Benjamin Franklin - The creative genius of our modern times, bifocals, typewriter, lightning rod and odometer to name a few. This was a guy with a boatload of talent, genius to match and a wicked satirical wit! He was a scientist, statesman, inventor, printer, philosopher, musician and economist. It's not often you get that much wrapped in one package. Franklin was elected to the Second Continental Congress and worked on a committee of five that helped to draft the Declaration of Independence. Though much of the writing is Thomas Jefferson's, much of the contribution is Franklin's. In 1776 Franklin signed the Declaration, and afterward sailed to France as an ambassador to the Court of Louis XVI. Over 20,000 people attended the funeral of the man who was called, "the harmonious human multitude." I would have liked to sit down with him and drink some mead and get him talking about anything. He had many quotes about drinking:

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance"

"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."

Cheers,

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
King Arthur - Yes, he was real. I've always had a strong interest in Arthurian lore, and I've always wondered what few parts of the stories centered around him were real. Also, it has always fascinated me how the human imagination can amplify reality in such a way as this example. What would be so special about someone to inspire such tall tales? I would also want to hear about his war stories. It is said that he started out as a war hero and the stories grew from his deeds.

By the way, I hated the movie and it was much more inaccurate than advertised...

Jesus - To find out once and for all if he was for real or another example of a tall tale. If he was for real, to learn from him as much as possible.

A Viking Ancestor - To learn how this society treated each other and their way of thinking. To learn how to build my own viking ship (seriously) and to learn about what makes up me, in the physical sense.

E

Erik

This is hard... I can't think of cool historical figures...

1. Jesus

2. Leif Eriksson

3. One of my relatives who actually lived in Italy... That'd be cool.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns