• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Real places you'd like to visit

Barrel Char Wood Products

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ok, same line of thought as the names thread, but current real places you've never gone that you'd like to visit...

Top of Mount Everest
The Pyramids in Egypt
Taj Mahal

ronjohn55

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2003
The Cathedral at Notre Dame
The North Shore of Ohau (At High surf)
Poland, all of it.

John

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Been to England & Europe... hubby in the military in the early 70's. Love it all.... but I'd like to go to the Virgin Islands, with no worries....
... or.... I can't think of anyplace else.... I'm pretty much content.
I'm a simple girl... I don't need much...

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

Derf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2004
When I was young, I wanted to travel the world and get as far away from New Brunswick as I could. Now though, having traveled a fair bit in Atlantic Canada, and briefly into Western Canada, I've come to the conclusion that I don't know my own country well enough to appreciate the differences in another one.

This is such a vast continent that I don't think I could ever truly come to know it all. I still have an urge to see Scotland and Ireland, where my ancestors come from. (Also Belgium, where my favourite beers come from.) But I bet I could spend the rest of my life traveling around Canada--even just Eastern Canada--with out ever thinking that I knew it well enough to represent my own region to the rest of the world.

Lately, my interest in Acadian--and thus, Cajun--history, and also (completely unrelated...) country blues music and increased my desire to tour through the Southern States. If ever I do muster the courage for such a trip, I would rely heavily on the few Southern friends I have made on the internet--mainly folk on this forum.

--Jay

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004

Been there. It was great. I stayed at Grand lido Negril (twice). If you want to read about my adventures, you can find my trip reports here:

http://tinyurl.com/3m2xv

As far as where I'd like to go:
Jamaica (again)
Cozumel
Belize
(not necessarily in that order)

My wife says:
Jamaica
Belize
Madagascar
(again, not necessarily in that order)

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
Australia (again)
Austria
Belgium
Czech Republic (again)
Denmark
Finland
Germany
Japan (again)
New Zealand
Norway
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand

Just for starters.... ;D

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
Canada, Mexico, pretty much anywhere off US soil for a vacation :)

Heck, I've only been in a plane twice!

:D

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Bahia de Sao Salvador, Brazil (I'm ticked off because I lived in Brazil for 5 years and never got to legendary Bahia)
Australia & New Zealand (cheating a little on the number, here)
Auschwitz, for the sake of my soul.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Miriam,

One can only imagine the breadth of emotions a Jewish person would feel when confronted with an artifact of the Holocost, like Auschwitz. I'm not real good at visiting the gravesites of past relatives. First, I don't believe they are there. Second, I do not like the deep sadness it generally brings. But thanks for sharing since it does provoke some interesting thoughts...

Pewter

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Here in Israel many high-school graduating classes go on organized trips to Auschwitz. More than a visit of respect to the martyred, it is an effort to integrate the reality of that immense loss into one's very being; especially important now that the survivors of that time, that is the living witnesses, are very elderly and dying away.

But on a drinkier note, people in Brazil enjoy many concoctions but cachaca (cashassah) is the national tipple. It is also the base for the caipirinha, a daiquiri-like drink. Except that to me cachaca always tasted like kerosene; never could drink it.

And I would so love to tour all of vast Australia and New Zealand, taking in of course the wineries in each country as well. I hear the kosher wines are just as good as the non-. And I have several friends in both countries...well, maybe someday.

Mirian

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns