• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

slow ferment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mike

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2003
www.ciphi.ca
I started a mead two months ago, and it seems to be taking forever to ferment. Patience, patience, I know....

Anyhow, it has 6 kg's (about 13 lbs) of honey, 2 tsp of yeast energizer, 2 tsp of Wyeast yeast nutrient, and 3 pkgs of Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast.

The OG was 1.088, and after 6 weeks it was 1.024, when I racked it to the secondary. Today, two weeks later, it has only dropped to 1.022. Seems to be fermenting very slooooooowly. The temperature is about 19°C/68°F where the carboy is.

Should I add more yeast, stir it up a bit (bit of yeast cake at bottom), add more yeast nutrient or energizer, warm it up or just leave it alone? ???

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
hmmm, got me mostly stumped

If you didn't have a striated must initially my figures suggest you only have about 9% alchohol.

I'd spin the carboy to break up the sediment and mix it back up into the must.

The 71B strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between 15° and 30°C (59° and 86°F) that has
Temp isn't the problem.

hmm... good for 14% according to charts at site... I'd douse it with a competitve yeast like K1V-1116 if fermentation doesn't speed up after you spin the carboys.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns