• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

OK i think it has begun

Barrel Char Wood Products
M

Mlawson

Ok I took the lid off of my bucket and I guess though I’m not sure that the fermenting has begun. There was almost a froth on top and it definitely smelled different. How will I know when the yeast is done working its magic? I still am getting no bubbles out of my water lock but I guess I can chalk that up to no rubber washer thingy. Thoughts?

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
When froth goes away I'd rack it to a glass carboy. You'll still be in primary fermentation. I'd probably stir it all reall good and pour through a funnel with cheesecloth. I recomend this method in your case because you apparently didn't use an ingredient bag. Instead of chese cloth a Strainer over the funel may work. You can siphon before you pour the rest if you want to.

hmmm Actually you might stir vigorously and use the strainer to remove most of the fruit from the must before siphoning. sterilize a collander and a pot and you can let the fruit drip dry and recover the some of the fluid.

good luck

Oh the reason you stir the mead is to suspend the yeast. the goal is to get the yeast and the must without the fruit into the glass carboy. when the foam drops you'll be at about 1.05-1.06 on the hydrometer typically. plenty of fermentables to protect this early must from oxegyn.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Again this is situation dependant advice.

I am suggesting he relocate his primary right after Krausen stage and remove the large fruit particles.... He will still be in primary in his carboy, We are not trying to remove the yeast, just the large fruit particles. If he had used an ingredient bag this would have been simplified.

He has Krausen and no Airlock activity so we know his seal on his primary is not Good. In this situation completeing his primary in the bucket is riskier than usual. I would avert this risk of infection by getting the primary under a good airlock.

Previous posts have revealed that he has fruit on the bottom of his primary preventing him from recovering the rubber grommet for the lid.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns