• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

When to add fruit question

Barrel Char Wood Products

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
i believe this was discussed before but i can't locate the thread and i need more advice. (i think oskaar addressed this)

lets say i want to make a cyser or melomel and i want to have some extra fruit or apple aroma or flavor when finished.

so i use say, 2 lbs of honey to a gal of fresh cider i start at 1.100 and cold stabilize at .020.

i hope i can get this question across right...

can i rack at that point, sulfate, sorbate and throw in some crabs or granny smiths and let age for a month or so then rack again?

is that a good thing to try or do?

now say i want to make a black current melomel, should i use the currents in the primary with the honey, or use the honey only and add the currents toward the end of the ferment?

this is always talked about but no real specifics on how to make this extra flavor work.

i drink rabbits foot cyser, it's without question the best i have ever drank. the big difference is the smell of the apples is awesome as well as the taste.

i guess i would like to start a thread and have a debate and old timer input on this topic.

thank you for your help and input, have a safe and happy new years!
scott

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns