• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Separation anxiety

Barrel Char Wood Products

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
So I haven’t seen my mead in a good two weeks due to the holidays (been at parents’ place), and tomorrow I finally get to check on my yeasties again :)

Anyone else have problems leaving a carboy’s side for more than an hour or two at a time?

I think next break I’m going to set a webcam up just so I can watch the bubbling.
;)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I check my babies every morning and every night, and when I go out to feed the dog, turn on the sprinklers, check the mail, go to the store, talk to the neighbors . . . hmmmm . . . that's about once an hour! ;)

Oskaar

Skinner

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2004
Ive found that the more I watch , the longer it seems to take. For myself the most exciting feeling is to come home from being gone a few days and seeing the changes. my first batch seemed to have taken an imeasurable amount of time, i would sit impatiently want to sip at it every 15 mintues , the second batch not quite so long, and now on my third batch the weeks seem shorter and the mead is ready before I know it. I can only hope the time grows shorter with every batch.

Skinner

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I used to be like Oskaar but when I relocated the carboys to a table in the basement, I find I only check them a couple of times each evening as I am too tired to stumble downstairs in the morning before work.

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
I finally got over the separation anxiety about 6 months ago. I guess I found that I was making so much mead that I didn't feel the need to go stare at the carboys every day. I still go down there about every week with my 2yo son and have him name the contents of carboys for me. ;D

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Oh, I've been doing mead for 2 years now and I still have yet to get over the seperation anxiety. Being at work is too much for me to be away from my carboys...

I even wistfully look at the empties i have and want to turn them into full and bubbling carboys...

Talon.

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
Made it back! (despite some pretty crazy snow)

My lil yeasties are still bubbling away, although i do think they missed me a bit.

Talon said:
Being at work is too much for me to be away from my carboys...

I think the solution to that is clear. just need to find a nice out of sight corner at work :D

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Talon said:
Being at work is too much for me to be away from my carboys...

You need to set up a Web Cam, so you can view them from work ;D
( and let others check out how they are going, too)

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Hey! Now you're on to something here... I can sneak in a 1 gallon and hide it in the overhead cabinet and for the rest I can definately hook up a web cam... Not a problem... WOOT! Great ideas guys!

Thanks!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns