• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Vacation Paradise

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Where do you all plan on taking vacation this year? Or, if you're not going on vacation this year because of schedules, work, etc, where would be your ideal place to stretch out and relax for a couple of weeks? Feel free to link to pictures of your last vacation spot as a reference if you're going there again.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
My kid sister and her family are going to travel with my family from Minneapolis to Glacier Mountain National Park on Amtrack and stay a week out there in two different lodges. It will allow our kids to experience riding a passenger train before they all go away. I also love Glacier Mountain as being the most beautiful portion of the Rockies in the USA. I haven't been there for over 20 years...

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I think I am heading to the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain. Assuming work doesn't keep me away from all vacations this year.

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
My wife and I haven't decided yet. There are currently 3 destinations in the running.

Option 1.) Negril, Jamaica. We've been there twice and loved it both times. We don't have any pictures of our vacation on the internet, but I do have some trip reports I wrote for a scuba newsgroup. The trip reports can be accessed here. Pictures of the resort can be seen by going to www.superclubs.com and looking for Grand Lido Negril.

Option 2.) Cozumel, Mexico. I've never been, but it's supposedly a diving mecca (and inexpensive to boot). We wanted to go there last year, but those plans got canceled when we found out that my wife's plans to change jobs wasn't going to leave her as much time off in the summer as we originally thought.

Option 3.) Las Vegas, Nevada. This is where we went just before Christmas. It was our first time in Vegas and we had a great time. All told, we only lost about $40 and the $75 we got from going to the time share presentation easily covered that (we didn't buy the time share - stupid presenters keep giving us money and free stuff to sit for a few hours and then tell them we aren't interested - we often look for the time share presentations just for hte free stuff they give out). The rest of the trip was extremely cheap as my mother was paying for the entire family to go. :)

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Oskaar said:
Where do you all plan on taking vacation this year? Or, if you're not going on vacation this year because of schedules, work, etc, where would be your ideal place to stretch out and relax for a couple of weeks?

Ireland would be the place for me. Wonderful scenery, and of course, got to catch a few sessions in a good pub, accompanied by a few pints of Guinness.

I managed to come across an old family story that my g-g-grandfather James McFeeley, a quiet grocer in Camden New Jersey, returned to Ireland not long after his wife died and fought in the Easter Rising of 1916. He was originally from Aughill, County Derry. I'd love to visit the town, find a few family members and see if the story was true.

If the story really is true, how did know about an uprising that was supposed to be kept a secret? That's what I want to find out.

R

Ranna

Hooray for vacations!

I'm hoping to go to Philadelphia, PA for a convention this coming July. Also, I may or may not sneak out to the bay area to visit a few friends, but that's kinda iffy.

Berg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2005
I've always wanted to see the lands of my ancestors; Hungary, Serbia, and Germany. But, if I could only pick one place, I would make sure I got to Bunol, Spain for that huge tomato war!

Berg

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Allrightythen....

Trip number one..... We plan a 7-9 day trip, in the car no less, across Idaho and Montana this year. We'll be taking the Mother in Law with us......

I see visions of National Lampoon.

Trip number two.... on the calender penciled in but prolly just a pipe dream.... Is... a 5 day trip to the Florida Keys... Pirates in Paradise. Pirates, wenches, gypsies and fun. The week after Thanksgivings.

:-* Suzy Q

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'll be heading back over to the Dalmatian coast of Croatia this year, it's just this side of paradise to me and my family.

Nothing like fresh oysters, mussels, lobster, lamb, great wine and mead. The water is clean and warm for swimming, and life is slow and relaxed. The nightclubs don't start hopping until about 11:00 PM and go til 6:00 AM, and the company is excellent.

Ah, the Adriatic!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Michael_Ng

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 9, 2004
www.kwmeads.com
Well, it all depends on how well our business takes off... ;D

But I've got 2-3 trips lined up over the next year or so...

First trip will have to be to Boston at the end of the Summer to pick up the kid from visiting her Biological Father. We might try to visit some Meaderies out there while we're there. (It would be nice to place faces to names and it would make it a business trip.)

The Second trip will be either this December, or sometime spring 2006. I want to make a trip to Thailand again. I really miss the warm crystal clear waters and white sand beaches of Koh Samui. And I've got family in Bangkok that wants me to visit.

Here are some pictures:

My Favorite Picture...
http://www.kwmeads.com/mikepics/p0000767.jpg

Proof that I was actually crazy enough to make it all the way up there.
http://www.kwmeads.com/mikepics/p0000764.jpg

Lucky shot taken from a speeding long boat...
http://www.kwmeads.com/mikepics/p0002373.jpg

A picture of the Giant Buddah on the Island of Koh Samui taken at the perfect time of day...
http://www.kwmeads.com/mikepics/p0000775.jpg

Oh yeah, and when business takes off, we're also penciling in a few Business Trips to Europe to find new Meads to import. ;D

Michael Ng
Owner - Knowne World Meads

UncleBen

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2004
My wife and I will probably be going to Ireland, with maybe a side trip into Austria? We own a house in Ireland, and usually go over every May. To visit friends.

E

Erik

Me, and my two friends, myself and I. Wel,, we're going to try and make mead this summer. That's my version of a vacation.
Out here in Saskatchewan (The province with that's hardest to spell and easiest to draw) anything's a vacation... hell, anywhere... it's creepy, you can look in any direction and see absolutley nothing untill you can't see anyfurther, no hills, very few trees... Like Nevada without the mountains...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns