• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Desert Island

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
OK,

You're stranded on a Desert Island, what are the three albums that you would have to have while you were there?

We'll get to movies, books and items in the next couple of posts.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
1. InnaGoddaDivida by Iron Butterfly (a relatively unknown but true classic that anyone who claims to be into Rock and Roll should have listened to several times)

2. Chicago's Greatest Hits - Chicago (a song for every mood with a nice mixture of brass, guitars, piano, and lyrics)

3. One of the old Firestone Christmas albums (since I am limited to three and Christmas is bound to come along)

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
Pewter_of_Deodar said:
1. InnaGoddaDivida by Iron Butterfly (a relatively unknown but true classic that anyone who claims to be into Rock and Roll should have listened to several times)

You forgot to mention that it contains what must be the greatest drum solo of all time. :)

Since I'm a bass head, my list is a bit different...

1.) Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
2.) Various Artists - Mega Bass
3.) is a toss up
3a) DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prine - And in this Corner
or
3b) Tone Loc - Loc-ed after dark

Bet you woulnd't have guessed that out of a 20-something white male... :)

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Only three? ;D

Chieftains, Water from the Well

Ossian, Dove Across the Water

Shaun Davey, The Pilgrim

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Hmmm...

1. The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
2. Laibach - Anthems
3. Einsturzende Neubaten - Ende Neu

Is it cheating that #2 is a double album? If so I would take disc 2 then.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Nah, it's all good! Album is the measure so if it's a double or triple album go for it.

Let's see:

1. Deep Purple - Made in Japan (best live Rock and Roll show I've ever seen, and I've seen most of them)

2. Oliver Dragojevic - Trag u Beskraju (Dalmatian ballad singer)

3. Beethoven's Symphony Number Nine - Wilhelm Furtwangler, Conductor (Nothing else like it on earth)

Cheers,

Oskaar

R

Ranna

Hmmm.. I like this topic :eek:)

1. Eric Whitacre - The Complete A Cappella Works (1991-2001) BYU Singers
2. Mozart - Requiem (New completion by Robert Levin, conducted by Martin Pearlman with the Boston Baroque)
3a. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
or
3b. Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 (I have the Chicago Symphony Orchestray conducted by George Solti I think..)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I have the Chicago Symphony version which is quite nice also. It's mono but it is incredible. I also have the Berlin Philharmonic, the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, and the Vienna Philharmonic versions, which are all great featuring conductors like Maazel, Van Karajan, Masur and Gardiner.

You should get the Wilhelm Furtwangler version, it's really an experience.

Cheers,

Oskaar

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
1. Sgt. Peppers
2. hmmm...I only have three? Beatles White Album? Let it Be? I'll go with Abbey Road.
3. Of course, any Grateful Dead live recording.

R

Ranna

I bet my voice teacher (the opera director) has a copy, I'll see if I can check it out.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Cosmic!

Terrapin from the Filmore East Show?? One of my favorites, and that whole show from the Great American Music Hall (1974) was awesome since I got to see it live!

Oskaar

Berg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2005
That Filmore East is a good choice Oskaar. If the scribblings on my cd's are correct it took up 4 cd's!!

1. The Silver Jews - Starlite Walker

2. Robert Johnson - Complete Recordings!!

3. Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
MMM three eh?

The Wyrd Sisters, Inside the Dreaming
Great Big Sea, Rant and Roar
Joni Mitchell, Clouds OR a "Best of" if thats an option.

Tricky call though... so many to choose from.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
1. Handel's Messiah
2. Soundtrack to Phantom of the Opera
3. Owain Phyfe - "Of Poets, Bards, and Singers of Song"

"Here's a health to the company, and one to my lass. Let us drink and be merry - all out of one glass. Let us drink and be merry, all grief to refrain. For we may or might never all meet here again."

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
That's a hard one, I'm listing some of the musc that was there when changes were made in how I looked at the world ;D. 1) Miles Davis, Live Evil, 2) Rolling Stones, Get Your Ya Ya's, and 3) Fleetwood Mac, Mistery to Me (sex, drugs and rock and roll but not in that order) If you want to go for more then I would choose something real different from Savoy Brown and Bloodwyn Pig. Life is Short, Drink, Laugh and Love
Beeboy

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Forgot one, anything recorded by Jimi Hendrix, saw him three times, once at the Filmore East when the Band of Gypsys played there on New Years eve. Where did the time go ??? Beeboy

randy

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2004
if i were stranded n a desert island, I don't care what albums i would have with me,

I doubt i would have a record player or electricity to run it...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Randy,

Most of us wouldn't ever get stranded on a desert Island period. It isn't a test of AC/DC theory or real-world situations, but a simple way to see what people who post here find entertaining in the way of music.

There will be more coming up soon, I hope you will play along with us.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns