• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ancient orange - slow ferment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
The following describes a 6 gallon batch made exactly in proportion and method to the original recipie, in a 6 gallon carboy:

With all the goodies in the ancient orange recipie I was expecting it almost to blow the airlock - but I'm getting maybe 4 bubbles a minute in the airlock on day 2.25. ;) There is some krausen - about 1/4" thick, with very small microscopic to very large 1/4" bubbles. The temp in it's closet ranges from ~68-72F during a day. It *is* progressing, just seems a little slow.

Just wanting to check it's progress against all the expert knowledge really. :D

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
nm - I topped the water up last night and it was plenty to get the ball rolling! I woke up to a little foam in the airlock. I suppose all i do is wash out the airlock & replace.

Doc76

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2005
My blueberry melomel (radioactive) i actually have to leave about 8-10 inches of space at the first 3 days because when it starts to ferment I have to clean the airlock about three times. I swear its radioactive or something

jeebeel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 22, 2004
Same here. I've done a few melomels with K1V-1116, and after pitching an active starter into the must I practically need to run for cover.

ANCJR, as Joe has said repeatedly, just leave the yeast alone to do its thing. Remember too that different yeast strains work at very different speeds.

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
My Blueberry Melomel did the same thing it must be those damm blueberries...lol I only made a small 1 gal batch and it is aging in the jug for a few months before I bottle it. I've racked it 2 times and used the Red star Champagne yeast. it is doing just great

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
Yes, this batch has taken off and done wonderfully since I started this thread. The 9th of April (tomorrow) will be it's 4th week and I'm still getting 1 bubble every 4-5 seconds as of right now. Haven't done a thing to it but top it off once the foaming stopped.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns