• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hello!

Barrel Char Wood Products

BellaCrow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2005
Hi there!

I'm not new to mead, as I have a lot of friends back in the Bay Area who have been making mead for years. Altho I did taste my first commercially made mead last month at a sumbel. It was Sage mead by Heidrun Meadery and it was really good ;-)

But this is my and my BF's first try at making our own. We made two 5 gallon batches so we could each have our own.

He made his with Mesquite honey and a recipe he created after reading about 400 others. I made mine with Wildflower ( :-\) following a friend's Cyser recipie. They've got about 3 or 4 months to go before bottling.

In the meantime we've got these nifty 1 gallon glass jugs from my apple juice, so we were thinking of doing some experimenting, so back to researching recipies!

Is there anybody else in the Chicago area brewing mead currently? Back in the Bay you couldnt swing a stick without hitting someone who did. It would be nice to see if there were others around.

Bella

jeebeel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 22, 2004
Bella,

One gallon jugs are great for small batches, and one gallon are relatively quick & easy to prepare & clean-up. I have four in-progress: an orange blossom mead, a wildflower & forest honey mead, a cherry melomel, and a concord grape pyment.

This forum and site have a lot of one-gallon batch info & recipes, so be sure and do a good search and see what interests you. Examples are Joe's 3 week no age sweet mead, ancient orange mead, etc.

Cheers!

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Typically, I'll try new things in a one gallon batch. Then, the ones I really like I'll make a bigger batch. The only probablem with that is that when you get one like the blackberry mel that I made and LOVED, I only had 5 bottles.

Check out Thirstyviking's Apple cyser recipe.

Joe's Ancient Spiced Orange is another good one, but be sure you follow the direction for your first few times.

BellaCrow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2005
jeebeel said:
Bella,

One gallon jugs are great for small batches, and one gallon are relatively quick & easy to prepare & clean-up. I have four in-progress: an orange blossom mead, a wildflower & forest honey mead, a cherry melomel, and a concord grape pyment.

This forum and site have a lot of one-gallon batch info & recipes, so be sure and do a good search and see what interests you. Examples are Joe's 3 week no age sweet mead, ancient orange mead, etc.

Cheers!

Yup! after reading about Joe's Ancient orange mead I had to try it. So it's currently bubbling away. Now if only my 5 gallon cyser would!

Bella

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns