• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Obsession

Barrel Char Wood Products

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
As many of you know, I will be teaching a meadmaking workshop next month. Along with the informational handouts I will be giving, I’d like to throw in some humor. One that all of you can help me with is “When do you know your obsessed with mead (or meadmaking)?”
Some examples are:
…when you legally change your name to your Gotmead.com user ID.
…when you eat out because there are too many carboys in the kitchen.
…when Gotmead.com is your homepage.

Uh oh! May have hit a little to close to home for some of you on that last one! At any rate, I am sure you get the idea!

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
-- when there is more honey than milk in the kitchen.

-- when the biggest expense on your monthly credit card statement is from a brewing supply place.

-- when the loudest sound in the house at night is the bubbling of traps.

-- when all your cookbooks have been replaced by meadmaking books.

-- when you find your average posts per day on Gotmead.com is more than the number of spam emails you get in a day.

-- when you think about Oskaar and mead when watching the Lord of the Rings.

-- when your first thought is about mead when the word honey is mentioned.

-- when you have to work to avoid the 200 gallon per year limit.

-- when you run out of room for bottles in the winecellar and expand into the rest of the basement.

-- when you run out of room in the basement as well and look for additional storage space without even considering cutting back on your brewing.

-- when you spend more on ingredients for mead per week than you do on food.

-- when you check every trap every morning for activity before you leave for work and then check them again right after you get home.

-- when you find it completely enjoyable and even relaxing to stand and watch a trap bubble for more than a minute or three.

-- when you go grocery shopping and find yourself always looking for ingredients that are on sale that might work in your next batch.

-- when your brewing log is more organized than your checkbook.

Can you tell I am obsessed? ::) ::) ::)

Actually I got all of these from secretly observing Oskaar... ;) ;) ;)

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
These are great!!! Anyone else want to add a little something?

"more honey than milk" is priceless and too true!!!

S

smilingwyvern

When you name all your batches and treat them like they are your children.
When you cry bec ause your best batch is gone.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Obsessed:

When you get up in the middle of the night to check for bubbles..

When your yeast start talking to you.....

When you sample your mead every day and expect the taste to change...

When your carboy is empty before you reach month 3 of aging...

When you can't drive by the brew shop without buying anything...

When you rack your mead just for something to do....

When you find yourself constantly sniffing airlocks.....

When your spouse says it time to do some chores and you instinctively run to your basement to check on your brew.

Joe

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
When you have apiarist constipation - you can't pass a honey shop (without checking out what honey they have 8) )

When you keep asking "you're not going to waste that honey by putting it on bread, are you"?

When your holiday destination is to allow you to buy new types of honey (Oops, is that one too close to home?)

When you need a forum to discuss meadmaking ( ::) - only joking)

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Ouch some of that was painfully close to home.

Ok,

When your "jars" of honey are 60# each.

When you know the birthday of your first mead - better than you remember the birthdays of your children or your anniversary.

When the value of your brewing equipement exceeds the value of your primary vehicle.

When carboys are a regular item in your budget

When you coerce your freinds into drinking beer from Grolsch style bottles.
(and then turning the bottles over to you.)

When your wife moves her laundry room to the basement so that you can have a "clean room" for brewing.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Oskaar Letterman's Top Ten List

Top Ten Ways to Tell if You're Obsessed with Mead

10. You set up a wireless network upstairs so you can cruise Gotmead.com while on your laptop in the meadworx downstairs.

09. You have more than 60 carboys in your meadworx.

08. Your girlfriend yells "HON-EEEEEE" from the shower and you run to the front door looking for the FedEx guy.

07. You have a media center in you meadworx.

06. Your best friend "coincidentally" lives on the way to your honey supplier.

05. When you meet a girl you wonder how she looks in knee high rubber boots and holding a 60 pound bucket of honey.

04. You make your dog sleep outside when he turns his nose up at the mead you poured in his bowl.

03. You think a Mead themed "reality" show would draw big ratings on TV.

02. When your girlfriend says something about a "yeast infection," you panic and bolt to check your fermentors.

And the number one way to tell if you're obsessed with mead . . .

Your friends and family wonder who Oskaar is and why they've never met him!

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Re: Oskaar Letterman's Top Ten List

Oskaar said:
05. When you meet a girl you wonder how she looks in knee high rubber boots and holding a 60 pound bucket of honey.

Oskaar -- these sound like some rather unusual errotic fantasies. . . a puzzle even for Sigmund Freud!

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Yeah, but I've actually done his #8! lol.

My wife wasn't very much amused... *grins*

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't know if it's sad or interesting or even amusing in a good way BUT it seems like all of us are somewhere along the path of becoming obsessed with our meadmaking. While I don't have 60 carboys (yet ::) ) I can still picture my basement with wall to wall bubbling batches. I have 8 or 9 gallons of honey in the house right now, none of it for use on bread. I suppose it is wonderful that we can share a hobby like this like we do and help and encourage each other like we do. And it is neat that we are much the same even though we come from all over the world as well...

The only bad thing I can see in all of this meadmaking stuff is this Oskaar guy... kinda like the boogey man if you ask me... ;D

Smart is the mazer whose mead is hid
In a cold, dark place and tightly lid
Cause in the night, there looms a threat
If you have mead, he's not come yet

So guard your bottles and carboys too
Or there will be no mead for you
And do not sleep, watch night and day
Forget you not, Oskaar's on his way...

Please go to the stereo, turn on the Jaws theme song, and reread the poem a second time for proper effect... ::)

With a huge grin,
Pewter

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
So THAT"S what's been happening to my stash!!!

(Gives a suspicious squinty-eyed glare toward Oskaar). ;D ;D ;D

I'm seriously looking forward to meeting some of you at the next Mead Fest.

Together we can share and support...

"Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm a mazer. I haven't had an empty carboy in 9 months..."

edited for spelling...

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
David Baldwin said:
Together we can share and support...

"Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm a mazer. I haven't had an empty carboy in 9 months..."

In unison: Hi Dave!

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Ok... I didn't think I was obsessed... I've only been interested in mead since Sept 04... that's only 6 months ago... and I've only made 18 gallons in those six months....
I have wireless internet in the other room... I do check in to Gotmead.com every night on my lap top in the next room.
I have heard the burping of airlocks at night... and have had to close two doors so that it won't wake me in the middle of the night.
I know the birthdays of my first, second and third meads that I had in the nursery... er... bathroom.
And I do check out ingredients in stores and at work that might make a nice mead........
Uuuuuuugggghhhh. I am obsessed....

Hello My name is Suzy Q., am I a Mazer?

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Are you obsessed if you have to have your buddy drive you to the homebrew supply store because you have racked 3 times today just to get at the 'spillage' and are no longer in a position to drive?

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Pewter, I admire that poem...but I think that under Oskaar's evil persona there is a soft-hearted, sentimental sort of guy - the kind of son who dutifully wipes his feet on the mat under Mother's baleful eye - the kind of boyfriend who calls his girl "Baby" and who in time will call his babies "Sweetheart"... the kind of guy who is - well actually probably sharpening up his long-distance atomic reincarnation curse and aiming it towards Israel right now (help).

Miriam

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Miriam,

Oskaar and I chat in email a bit and I consider him (and everyone else here) a friend. He has talked about spillage parties and such. I am sure that you are right that he is a perfect gentleman... excuse me a minute I am getting sick... No, seriously Oskaar is cool and if my teasing were bothering him, he would talk to me in private about it...

Peace,
Pewter

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Well I was just kidding too, Pewter. Oskaar is, I notice, preserving a dignified silence while we take his name in vain...or maybe he is revving up something truly awful to surprise us with. :D

Miriam

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

d'OH!!!!

LOL Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns