• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Watermelon Melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Okay, so I opened my six-month old "Melomelon" the other day, and it's anything
but mellow! It's very noticably young, of course, but it also has a
strong alcohol heat (don't know the SG, but I was wrecked from just
two glasses of it -- and hung over the next day). Circumstances right
now won't allow me to age anything for very long (space considerations
are critical, and we'll be moving soon). This is especially saddening,
because I really believe this stuff would be sublime in a year or two.
Two pounds of clover honey went into it to make a gallon, and I'd
characterize it now as being a little on the sweet side of dry (not
quite semi-sweet). It has a beautiful amber color, with little
detectable watermelon flavor right now; but, again, I believe aging
would bring that more to the forefront.

I realize that the average refrigerator is not ment for long-term
aging, but does anybody know what the effects of such would be on a
mead? I'm talking a year or two at average fridge temps. Good? Bad?
Ugly? If this seems doable, I could put at least one bottle aside,
anyway.

-David

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Refridgeration will just slow down the aging process. Certainly it will keep the mead, you just won't eliminate some of the harshness as quickly.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
lostnbronx said:
I realize that the average refrigerator is not ment for long-term aging, but does anybody know what the effects of such would be on a mead? I'm talking a year or two at average fridge temps. Good? Bad? Ugly? If this seems doable, I could put at least one bottle aside, anyway.

The problem with keeping mead, or wine in the 'fridge is the vibrations from the compressor. This can cause instability in the mead.

Aging is best done in wine cellar conditions, nice low temperature, about 50 or 60 degrees F, good humidity, nice and dark, quiet.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns