• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Howmany raisins

Barrel Char Wood Products

bob conaert

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 25, 2005
Wohoo my first post ;D

On the website there's a litle piece about raisins as a yeast nutrient.
Now I'm planning to try that out,
bud i'm not sure about the quantity/gallon I schould use.

Anybody a suggestion?

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Welcome!

There are a couple things to consider as to how many raisins you'll need.

1. Nutrient requirements of the yeast strain you'll be using.
Some yeasts will do fine with very little added nutrient KIV-1116 for example. Some others will be very sensitive to nutrient requirements.

2. The honey you plan to use. If you are using buckwheat honey entirely or as part of your honey, you may not need additional nutrients at all, or at least fewer additional nutrients.

3. Your desired end product.
Raisins add more than just nutrients. The tannins etc. in the raisins will add to the flavor and mouthfeel of your end product.

So as you see so far I haven't given you much quantifiable help.

If I may suggest, give us an idea of what you want to see in your favorite drinking vessel 6 months to a year from now and we can brainstorm from there! ;D

David

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bob,

With 71B-1122 yeast, I have been using 1/2 cup each time I start or do a secondary ferment. It seems to be working well...

Oskaar suggests chopping the raisins prior to adding. I just allow them to swell and then power stir the batch with my drill to aerate it, which also shreads the raisins.

Siobahn suggested to me that I use white raisins, in order not to inherit the "brownness" from the regular raisins in the final color of the meads. This also seems to be a good idea.

I started a batch of plain mead for my raspberry mead. It had water, honey, some citrus, the raisins, and the yeast. In tasting it before I racked it onto the fruit, I was really pleased with the taste and believe the raisins help. I am not an educated enough pallate to know whether it was tannins or something else that was making it good.

Welcome to Gotmead and good luck in your brewing.
Pewter

bob conaert

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 25, 2005
thx for the re :)

The project is like this:

4 pounds honey wildflower
1.5 pint lavender flowers
1.5 gallon water

i'm not sure about the yeast, Its a Kitzinger Reinhefe Champagner.

The plan is to start a yeast starter (a cup off appeljuice) heat up a part off the water, and adding the lavender flowers and honey. Afther that I will put it all together.

What I dont want to see in a year from here is a mead that taste like its entirely made from raisins :)

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, I'm no expert, and haven't any experience with that yeast but I'd think that 1/4 to 1/2 cup of raisins should be plenty for a 2 gallon batch.

If you haven't gotten it yet, I'd highly recommend Ken Schram's book. "The Compleat Meadmaker" is a must have for any meadmakers library.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'd stick with about 4 ounces of raisins. I chop my raisins to make the nutrients (mostly the nitrogen) available to the yeast immediately.

Oskaar

bob conaert

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 25, 2005
Thx for the reactions

I post an update when I got the results

David Baldwin said:
If you haven't gotten it yet, I'd highly recommend Ken Schram's book. "The Compleat Meadmaker" is a must have for any meadmakers library.

Seems to be hard to find a good book, in a store in belgium, and I can't buy it online.
Thats the disavantage of living whit you're money in a bottle under the bed, you can not buy things online :p

The good stuff about it is that I dont have to pay any gready bank employe ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns