• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sweetining Melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
Hello I have a small batch of Blueberry/Cranberry Melomel and its a little tart from the cranberries. The SG is .995 and I was wondering about how much Honey to use to take the edge off, or will it mellow with age. I normally like my meads dry but this is a tad too much. Thanks for your help

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Is my math right - would adding 8 oz of honey bring the gravity up to 1.015?

(We're talking about a 1 gallon batch, right?)

I won't say "right" anymore. Starting right now!

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
CosmicCharlie said:
Is my math right - would adding 8 oz of honey bring the gravity up to 1.015?

(We're talking about a 1 gallon batch, right?)

I won't say "right" anymore. Starting right now!

Yes Charlie it is a 1 gallon batch, and that sounds just about right ...lol... adding the 8 ounces of honey should bring it up to 1.015

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Last dumb question (for now): Is there a general threshold gravity that separates "sweet" from "dry"? Maybe around 1.010???

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Not a dumb question.

There are a few different "SG differentiators", but they are primarily for mead competitions, where you want to categorise entries.

For personal use - sweeten to taste, ie it is subjective. Also factors like tannin, acidity, %ABV all produce different organeoleptic (? ie taste) sensations.
Hence adjust by taste rather than by numbers. The numbers are handy to put you in the ball-park, but nothing beats using your mouth ;D

Back to categorising by numbers,

JamesP said:
From the Michael L. Hall treatise on Mead Judging
http://www.hbd.org/atommash/hall/mead_judging.pdf

which has three sweetness ranges defined: Dry, Medium & Sweet
comes the following Quote:

Roughly, a dry mead will have a final gravity less than 1.010, a medium mead will fall in the range from 1.010 to 1.025, and a sweet mead will be greater than 1.025.
dry <1.010
Medium 1.10-1.025
Sweet >1.025

Somewhere else IIRC I've seen it split into 4 groupings of something like
dry <1.010,
semi-sweet 1.010-1.020,
sweet 1.020-1.030
sack >1.030

Update:
From http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/mead.html as referred in
OG:hydromel: 1.035 - 1.080standard: 1.080 - 1.120sack: 1.120 - 1.140+
ABV:hydromel: 3.5 - 7.5%standard: 7.5 - 14%sack: 14 - 18%