• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Rocket fuel

Barrel Char Wood Products
J

Jackalguy

Hello all!
Well, I just racked my first batch, and it was pretty bitter and had a strong alcohol taste...does this mellow out? Do I add more honey to sweeten it?
Its only about a month and a half old...I just really hope I didnt do anything wrong.
???
let me know, thanks in advance.

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
I agree with Pewter, but yes, generally (depending on ingredients and SG's) alcohol "hotness" does mellow with age. Usually bitterness (tannins) balances out the alcohol also.

BellaCrow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2005
Pewter_of_Deodar said:
Jackal,

Could you post the recipe and the SG for us please. Hard to tell what you did without knowing what went into it.

Thanks,
Pewter

Here's the recipe, thanks for checking it out.

Pitched 3.6.05

Sweet Mead Yeast
5 campden tablets
2 tsp acid blend
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp yeast energizer
1.5 tsp Chinese Five spices
3 vanilla beans (split)
4.5 gallon water
13 lbs of mesquite honey

racked 4.08.05

4.25.05 added 3 lbs of clover

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
It just needs to age. That's normal. Judging by the amount of honey you used I would guess this is going to turn out semi-dry and dry meads tend to take longer to age.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Also, adding the acid up front will tend to give it a little Hhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaa as my buddies say.

Cheers,

Oskaar

BellaCrow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2005
Oskaar said:
Also, adding the acid up front will tend to give it a little Hhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaa as my buddies say.

Cheers,

Oskaar

What would make it just taste bad? An infection?

Bella, worried

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
It's just young. Like Norskersword said, give it some time, it'll come around.

Cheers,

Oskaar

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
You're mead is just very young. I've had many a meads that even at 6 months were pretty undrinkable, but by 12-18 months were an awesome thing to behold.

BellaCrow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2005
JoeM said:
You're mead is just very young. I've had many a meads that even at 6 months were pretty undrinkable, but by 12-18 months were an awesome thing to behold.

*gulp* He, um, got discouraged. And, well, hellfire, we thought maybe it was infected so we saved a gallon it to see and let the rest go. *blush*

it's going to be a really expensive lesson if it turns out. *sigh* but one we obviously needed. The others which were younger already had a nice taste to them, but this one didnt so we were afraid as we're still refining, well, still learning techniques and all.

oh dear.

Bella

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bellacrow,

I am sorry you lost the batch. Not to discourage experimentation, but you may find it best to start with proven recipes and then substitute into them to achieve whatever end result you want. Other suggestion might be to post the recipe you plan to make here for the experts to critique before you start it. There are a couple of people here that can pick up on things like too much acid, etc...

Good luck,
Pewter

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Try Joe's 3 week recipe in the recipe section. Everyone has trouble with patience when they start out, and 3 weeks isn't long!

paul84043

NewBee
Registered Member
May 7, 2005
A lesson I learned while brewing beer. You can't ruin it. You can change it, but it's nearly impossible to actually ruin it. I would think that the nature of Mead would make it even moreso than beer, since beer is so much more prone to infection.

I tossed a batch once. Never again. Just call it a Lambic mead.....

I

irishoneme

You have probably done nothing wrong. My last batch had behaved in much the same way. It's been a couple of months now and it's up to a dry chardonay taste. It will probably mellow with time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns