• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

when to add juices...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Shawn

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2005
I've got a batch of sack mead on it's second racking, and I'm wondering if it's too late to add pomeranite juice. (or if I can do it at all, for that matter)

I started the batch on 20 march, racked it on 5 april.

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Its never too late! (or, at least in my opinion its never too late) I believe the fruit will impart different characteristics to the mead depending on when it is added. Adding at this point should preserve more of the fruit flavor and sweetness.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Shawn,

How is the fermentation going at this stage? Any action? Do you want to actually ferment the pomegranite juice, or just impart some flavor? If it's just flavor you want, I'd wait until fermentation is complete, stabilize it, and then add the pomegranite juice to taste (that is, slowly, tasting as you go until you get the flavor you're after).

-David

CosmicCharlie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
I usually make 1 gallon batches - I juice 2 to 3 lbs of frozen fruit which yields between 2 and 3 cups of juice. I am new at this, so I dont know if that's the optimal ratio, but its what I'm doing. Its too soon to really know the results but it seems to impart plenty of fruit aroma and flavor.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Oskaars advice in http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,660.msg4214.html#msg4214
is
I find that by starting with a 1000 ml Erlenmyer Flask full of the mead I'm going to tweak, I can pour off 100 ml increments and make additions to each of those using lower ml pipettes or other smaller measure devices and get the taste to where I want it.

Then I back-calculate and reduce by a small factor again, and make the addition to the mead. I let it stand for a few days, then go back and taste, if necessary I'll goose it once or twice with whatever I feel it needs and go forward.

It's worked pretty well for me, and I use it when I infuse with other stuff too.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns