• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

fast fermenation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Nick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 23, 2005
Ok, maybe someone can help me.
I did a 1 gl. batch of mead, using 71B-1122 yeast and 3 lbs. of honey. It had a starting gravity of 1.090, ph of about 4.4, and started fermenting within 3 hrs. It fermented vigorously for about 3 days then quite. I measured the gravity again and it was 1.000 (ph was still above 4). In the book I have (The Complete Mead Maker) (good book by the way) it says that the meads gravity should finish around .100 lower then what it started at, which mine just about is. So my question is am I done? As anybody else ever fermented that fast?

Thanks for the help
Nick

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I've had a meads finish out in a week -- only happened a couple of times. I didn't measure the pH but it wouldn't have surprised me to have found that it started out above 4.0, like yours.

If the mead is at 1.000 gravity, quite still with no bubbles, it's probably done.

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
My Peaches and Cherry Cyser has been racked twice and is bulk aging in under a month. The SG was 1.090 at the start, 1.01 at ist racing in about 10 days, I topped it off with Peach Juice and it was down to .995 in about a week. I racked it again and stablized and sweetened with 1.5 lbs of honey in 1/2 gal of water, and its 1.005 and bulk aging now. It is the fastest batch I had finish up so far

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns