• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I am Lost; What is SCA?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Meadmage999

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2005
What is SCA, I didn't see it in the other sections of the MB. Someone please explan this so my brain dosn't explode.... maybe it will implode, eather way it doesn't look good..
Thanx,
Meadmage999

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Meadmage,

SCA is a lot of people with a common interest in being a part of "The Dream" by dressing in medeival clothing and stepping back into past ages. Try the link...

www.sca.org

They do a better job of explaining it. Credit the SCA a lot with the fact that meadmaking is as big as it is as they kept it going for quite a few years within the SCA before it emerged to be popular in Mundania again...

davarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2005
I used to play fiddle at a local medieval dinner theater called King Henry's feast. One of the best parts of the show was a sword fight between two opposing knights. This was scripted out very elaborately, and the fighters were usually well trained stunt men.

Before I was in the show, there was an instance where they were short of actor/stuntmen to play the knights. In desperation, King Henry's hired a couple of SCA members to temporarily fill their shoes, figuring they were well versed in imaginary swordplay.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as imaginary as they had hoped. The SCA knights took the sword fight pretty seriously, and they went on stage with the intention of hacking each other to pieces.

For insurance reasons, King Henry's never hired them again.

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
That's because SCA combat isn't scripted, it's a competitive sport.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Val said:
That's because SCA combat isn't scripted, it's a competitive sport.
[/quote

Which is exactly why the SCA forbids the use of "live steel" real weapons in any form of combat.

The only steel - on - steel you will find is in the fencing. I need to dust off my fencing gear and get back into it.

Meadmage999

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2005
David Baldwin said:
Which is exactly why the SCA forbids the use of "live steel" real weapons in any form of combat.

The only steel - on - steel you will find is in the fencing. I need to dust off my fencing gear and get back into it.

There are fencers here too? I though everyone was a viking! *sighs* :-* I like Fencers..

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
The SCA covers everything before roughly 1600. Most people's personas fall somewhere between 1100 and 1600 AD.

My persona, for instance is a 1580s English ship's master. I do heavy combat and fencing, though I'm rusty on both :-\

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am looking forward to tomorrow since our Shire is hosting the Crown Tourney for our Kingdom. While I do not fight heavy (I am too old and decrepit) I do enjoy the atmosphere we have which is still a lot like a Ren Faire but better in ways since everyone is in garb, not just the merchants. And of course there is the fact we will have mead...

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Meadmage999 said:
There are fencers here too? I though everyone was a viking! *sighs* :-* I like Fencers..

Oh yes, I've done both heavy weapons and fencing. I love the heavy, but bruises heal slower than they used to... I prefer fencing. It's like dancing with steel.

I haven't done any heavy fighting in probably 12 years, and really haven't fenced much in the past 5 years.

Maybe it's time to dust off and limber up.

David

PS. The shield you see as my avatar is my old heavy-weapons shield. The photo was taken after a wonderful battle where the shield split - you can see it in the picture if you look closely!

davarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2005
It's better that the shield is split than your skull. Looks like it served you well.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, Crown Tourney went well as did the feast afterwards. I gave a bottle of my Cyser to the King and Queen. I don't know if they drank it or not as they departed before we were done cleaning up.

I did share a second bottle with several there, including a Baran who is pretty well known for his wine and mead. He liked it, said it had good apple flavor and good mouthfeel and that it should mellow out over time. He was surprised that it is 17 percent alcohol because it doesn't have the alcohol bite despite it's young age. So I am a happy campre and ready to start a new batch as soon as my friend squeezes apples again.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Congrats! That's great feedback from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns