• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

grassy lavender mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

longarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 12, 2005
I've got a mead made with some lavender tea that's been aging in a secondary fermenter for about 2 months now after a 1 month primary fermentation. If you've ever seen a lavender, the flowers grow on top of a grassy stalk. It's this grassy stalk flavor and aroma that seems to dominate my mead (even though the tea I used was basically only lavender flowers), both in terms of aroma and flavor. Granted, I only used 10# clover honey (5 gal batch), so that in and of itself will make things dry. It doesn't taste bad, but the combination of a dry mead to begin with and the grassy lavender character makes it extremely dry and almost overwhelmingly grassy. In some ways it's kind of cool and rustic, and it certainly has mucho lavender character, but I think I would rather have this grassiness somewhat subdued. I've thought about adding a little more honey to sweeten it a bit, but I'm not sure what this will do. Any thoughts on this, or is this a common theme with flower infused dry meads. Thanks!

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Longarm,

This is a green mead in more ways than one! Two months in a secondary is not very long at all. Really, give it a year or two -- in the carboy if you can spare the room -- in the bottle otherwise. You'll be amazed at the difference.

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
With lavender you have to be very meticulous to ensure that you're getting only the flowers, I generally take the time to cut the tops of the lavender bush, and then clip the clumps of flower off each small stalk.

I have family in Croatia who's house is in the middle of a lavender field. The lavender there is more aromatic and longer lasting than any other I have experienced. France buys the Croatian lavender by the ton to add to their perfumes and other exports for an enhanced lavender product. In the mornings during the spring the mist rolls down the hills behind the house and mixes with the rosemary, sage, citrus, fig blossoms and fresh baked bread from the kitchen. It's a slice of heaven. I can sit back and imagine that aroma and the smell and instantly be back in Croatia.

Cheers,

Oskaar

longarm

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 12, 2005
That's a great story. For a second I thought I was in Croatia too.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns