• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Its the chemicals, isn't it?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
Well, today was the day I decided to bottle 2 of the meads I made back in... october or november. I can't remember. The cyser turned out well (I didn't use any nutrients) but the plain mead tastes like a rubber hose and shoe leather. With a nice strong honey and floral touch.
I followed the instructions on the package of yeast nutrients for a gallon,
a tsp or tbsp I think of nutrient per gallon. Reading the forums here later I found out that that was far too much for mead and well...
That's what I'm tasting, isn't it?
Yeck. I wonder who I can offload this crap onto.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yup,

Generally 2 teaspoons per five gallon batch is plenty if you're making a single dose before pitching the yeast.

Otherwise you can go 2 teaspoons DAP when you make the must prior to pitching, and 1 gram per gallon of Fermaid K at 1/3 sugar depletion. I haven't been able to detect any imparted tastes from either method.

In your case, even 1 teaspoon per gallon shouldn't be readily detectable unless you know what you're looking for. However if it was 1 tablespoon thats a horse of a different color!

Which yeast did you use anyhow? If it's Montrachet, Pasteur Red or Champagne by Red Star, give it at least a year before you taste again. I think you'll be surprised at the change.

cheers,

Oskaar

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Without tasting it, I can't be conclusive about the root of the problem. But you could taste your nutrient and see if it is a match with your "off" notes. I wouldn't describe what many call "nutrient bite" as either rubber or shoe leather. More of a metallic and sharp "clank" on the end of the finish.

Don't write it off yet. Eight months isn't a very long time for a mead. Also, fruits can hide many faults or youthful flavors and aromatics that may be glaring in a traditional.

What yeast and what honey did you use? That info could provide some more insight into what you are tasting. Also, did you go to dryness? That will make any yeast character more prominent, as the honey sweetness component will not be providing balance to the alcohol and other fermentation by-products.

Yours,
Ken

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns