• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Taking Joe's Ancient Orange to wine tasting.

Barrel Char Wood Products

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
The last wine tasting at the LHBS in Grand Rapids (Cascade Winery) was so well recieved that they are putting on another one again on Thursday June 2nd.

Last time I introduced them to mead with "My Firstborn" and it was well recieved and sparked lots of conversation.

Thursday I'll be taking along some of Joe's Ancient Orange/Spice. I am printing the recipe for them, and have this web site listed as the source of the recipe and as a great place for anyone interested in mead.

I'll let you know how it goes.

David

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Last night came off very well.

I took a bottle each of my batches #2 and #3. #2 is my stuck batch at about 8% ABV, and batch 3 fermented perfectly.

I didn't tell them which was the "bad" batch, and let them work it out. These are all home vintners with more experience than I have, so it was fun to see how they worked through this flawed fermentation.

Everyone was able to pick out which was the "flawed" batch, and one guy figured it out right away. He noted that the alcohol content was much lower, and deduced that fermentatoin had stuck and resisted my attempts to restart. (Turns out he's been in the same boat - recently.)

One person actually preferred the low alcohol very sweet mead. The others all thought that it would be great in a blender with some ice - kind of like a honey/orange margarita.

A very educational evening.

David

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
tbdiver,

It's a great way to introduce someone to mead.

I printed the recipe out so that they could see just how unorthodox it is in formulation and method. It really grabs their attention. Of course I make sure to include the www.gotmead web address.

I made two converts last night, and they will be making some mead in the near future.

Hopefully we'll see them here on the forum soon!

David

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns