• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fermentation at a halt

Barrel Char Wood Products

rugger

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 17, 2005
I am new to this board and had a few questions for whoever can help. The problem I ran into I feel was self-inflicted. I followed the directions for the “Black Raspberry Horilka,” found on this site and after 2 weeks my primary has stopped expelling gas. The self-inflicted aspect is that I got concerned about sterilization of the frozen berries so I added 5 campden tablets. So far I already tried moving the primary to a cooler area and I also tried re pinching the yeast any suggestions?

The original temperature the batch was keep at was 76-81 degrees
Moved to a second location at 72-76 degrees

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thanks for your help

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Dude,

What size batch?
What were the exact ingredients and measurments thereof?
And . . .most important, when did you add the campden tablets?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Oskaar

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Ditto on Oskaar's questions, and may I add, what yeast did you use?
Give us the "gory details", you will get help, I'm sure.

Ted

rugger

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 17, 2005
5 lbs raspberries “used frozen”
5 lbs fresh blackberries “used frozen”
5 – 16 oz cans frozen cran juice concentrate “used Welch’s”
4 gal water “used deer park spring water”
10 lbs light honey “used store bought clover honey”
3 liters blackberry brandy “didn’t add yet”
½ liter raspberry liqueur “didn’t add yet”
1 pkc champagne yeast “used Lalvin 71-B-1122 S”
Yeast Nutrient “used 2 tsp”

What I did

I began with a yeast starter of 3 tbsp light malt extract and 2 tbsp honey and ½ tablespoon yeast nutrient. Then 2 days later I started the must by pasteurizing the honey at 165 degrees. Then I followed the directions and added the must to the frozen fruit, which cooled down the must too fast because it was at 85 degree about 8 mins in. At this point I made the mistake of adding the yeast starter and the other 7.5 grams of yeast. If I was worried about bacteria due to the fruit not fully being pasteurized, I should have set this aside for a day with the campton tablets prior to pitching. But, instead I added everything and thought about contamination all day then ended up adding the 5 crushed campton tablets the next night. This batch still continued to give off rapid bubbles for 2 weeks and now it is at a halt. Like I mentioned prior I already tried to lower the surround temp. and I pitched another 5 grams of yeast. Is this batch able to be saved or am I going to have to start over?

Thanks for your help.
ben

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
Is it possible that you've had a rip-roarin fermentation and it actually finished up to its alcohol tolerance in two weeks? Do you have any gravity readings?

rugger

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 17, 2005
I took the initial reading prior to pitching like I normally do with wert. Is this the correct method?

The gravity was a lot lower than my beer normally is. It was at 1.10
I haven’t had a chance to check it since but I will give it a check tonight.
Thanks

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yup,

You should check your gravity and see how far the fermentation has come along. Sounds like it blew through the campden tablets and finished in spite of it all. Give it a taste from the gravity spillage and see what you think.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns