• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

juice?

Barrel Char Wood Products

rugger

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 17, 2005
I was reading a posting on “tell me about berries” and briankeltering mentioned that he is mainly using juices. I have several questions about this approach. What are the conversions / amounts used? What type of juices should be used? Concentrates or Bottled? Also this seems like an approach, which would cut down the risk of contamitation a great deal.

Thanks everyone for all the info

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
I have had some great success using just fruit juice to make my melomels.

In fact, any one who has made a cyser or perry knows how well a mead can be made with juice.

You can use any juice that you want to make the melomel. I have used juice from apples, pears, grapes, black mulberries, elderberries, lemons, strawberries, plums, and pomegranates.

Bottled juice will work well as long as two things exist:
1) the fluid is 100% juice (none of this "Contains 11% real fruit juice" :()
2) the juice contains no preservatives.

If you have juice concentrate, re-hydrate as per manufacturer's instructions. The juice should have a typical specific gravity of 1.035 to 1.050.

I like making my juice the hard way - straight from the fruit. It can be a long, labor-intensive process, but it is well worth it.

You will need a LOT of fruit to obtain enough juice to do brewing. I am blessed to have a number of friends with fruit trees in their yards who share their bounty.

In general, a pound of fruit will result in 3/4 cup to 1 1/4 cup of juice.
- 100 pounds of grapes resulted in 4 1/2 gallons of juice
- A pound of frozen raspberries resulted in 1 cup of juice
- a full flat of overripe strawberries (16 pint containers) resulted in 1 1/2 gallons of juice
- and 40 pounds of lemons resulted in 2 gallons of juice.

Brian K

rugger

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 17, 2005
I appreciate your time and the feed back brian. I am new to the hobby and I am trying to absorb as much info as possible, so I can figure out the best approach.
I made about 20 mistakes my first attempt so I am going to plan my next brew instead of winging it.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns