• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

CO2 canisters?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
I have been using a method where I drop dry ice into a plastic container of water that is then shut. There is a hose leading out of the container that I drop into my carboys and I let the CO2 fill the carboy up before I rack. (Same goes with bottling). However, I can only purchase dry ice in 10# increments which is quite a bit more than I need. Of course, I can't store it.
I was thinking about using a compressed CO2 canister like the ones used in paintball. How would I set it up, and how effective and costly is it?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You can get the small ones at morebeer.com, they're not too expensive and I believe the work well. I think Brewbear just got one. Maybe he can help with an evaluation.

cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Yup!
Got the handy CO2 dispenser used for the 3 and 5 gal Cornys. It takes a little adaptor, a hose clamp and about 12 - 18 in. hose. I bought mine from Steinfillers for $20 :'( B3 has it for $14.95. the CO2 is in the small, disposable containers, $7 for 12 at B3 vs, $1 each at Steinfillers :'( :'(
If you fill the 5 gal. carboy halfway with your mead, you can put the hose (sterilized) close to the surface and fill with CO2. Then continue filling with mead. This way you are certain there is no oxidation, you also have some CO2 left to fill any overhead space if any is left.
Hope this helps,
Ted

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
And here's what the contraption looks like:

Hope this helps,
Ted

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
hum... I'm trying to figure out if it'll be most cost effective to build my own contraption using a paintball gun's CO2 canister, use yours, or keep using the dry ice. 10#s of dry ice goes a long way. Long enough to fill up several 7 gallon carboys before filling, and to fill most of the necessary bottles. I could probably crush the remaining dry ice and use it to carbonate the mead, even.
But if a single charge on the small canister only fills up a single carboy...

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
CO2 tanks work best for me, I love the cartridge type injectors for serving away from home (parties, BBQs, etc..), I was suprised the first time I used it, works quite well ;)

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
They are good for at least two carboys....That's all I have going now, and there is still CO2 left in the cartridge.

Ted

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns