• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Poor seal

Barrel Char Wood Products

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
Hi all,

I had recently racked to 1 gallon glass carboys, and used these fancy screw on caps with a hole for the airlock. On one of them, I must have pushed way two hard on the airlock trying to seat it well, and split the cap. Its a small split, but enough to keep the airlock from functioning. I'm going to do some racking and gravity checking tommorrow, but do you think I'm hosed? I bet its been like that since I racked two weeks ago. I didn't notice until today because today I have some foam, like it kicked up again since its been warmer.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Depending on how far it is to your nearest LHBS, try melting some wax on the cap, it will create a temporary seal, just put it inside and outside the cap.

Ted

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
I'm going to buy an ew cap and some stoppers today, I was just wondering if that lack of seal has caused a problem. Since its still kicking up, I'm thinking that there is enough CO2 to protect the small exposed area in the neck of the 1 gallon carboy, but I thought I would ask.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
In the early part of the primary you should be fine, but you mentioned racking so I'm guessing you're in secondary at least so you should change out that lid as soon as reasonable. A new cap should remedy the situation.

I

irishoneme

Those weren't those nice little carboys in the picture section were they?

I

irishoneme

oh no! And I had such high hopes for those screw caps.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Your probably fine but their is an easy way to test to see if it's ok...Taste it! :D If it doesn't taste infected or oxidized (like sherry wine) than you are fine.

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
irishoneme said:
oh no! And I had such high hopes for those screw caps.

To add to the fact, all 3 of the orginal ones cracked, I replaced one and was much more gental with it, and it still cracked after a period of time. I switched to rubber stoppers.

Don't bother with the caps.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns