• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

mixxing diffrent types of honey??

Barrel Char Wood Products

Scotty B

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2005
I just got a Mead kit for my birthday from Williams Brewing. The kit came with everything you need to make the stuff but without the honey - my wife ended up buying me 6 pounds of orange blossom honey and i was wondering since i needed 12 punds of honey for this kit could i buy 6 pounds of a diffrent honey instead of orange blossom?

new to it all - and can't wait to make it -

i know it's not cool to make it from a kit but......it was a gift and i'm glad i got it!!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I mix honey all the time and it's actually a great way to get some very nice mead.

Could we get you to post the ingredients and quantities along with the instructions?

We've seen some kits that are great, and other kits that aren't so great, so maybe if you post up what's in the kit and the instructions we can eyeball it and see if it's up to snuff.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Since we're on the topic of blending honey...

Next time I rack the Peanut Butter mead, I'd to bring the S.G. up a bit and replace any loss in volume with fresh must. At this point the predominant smell and flavor is the peanut butter with a warm honey finish that is nondescript. I used sage honey to begin with, but since I'm not up to a 2 hour drive for quart of honey I'm thinking clover honey might blend well and not over power the nutty flavor. Any suggestion?

Anthony

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Oskaar said:
We've seen some kits that are great, and other kits that aren't so great, so maybe if you post up what's in the kit and the instructions we can eyeball it and see if it's up to snuff.

I'm with Oscaar. My first mead was done with a very poor excuse for a kit. It only had one jug and no racking cane! It also came with a champaign yeast and that's no good for a first taste of mead.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'd personally go with mesquite honey. I like the flavor and it won't overpower your peanuts. The clover lately (here in Socal) as been pretty thin flavored.

Cheers,

Oskaar

I

irishoneme

If that symbol is any indication of your location, welcome neighbor! For my first batch, I used a combo of clover and raspberry clover honey. Sorry, but clover is about all I've seen in New England. A good source for bulk is Wild Oats in Portland, Me. It all comes from Swans in Me and is pretty good. Good luck!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns