• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Trappist Maple Metheglyne

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rathpig

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 9, 2005
I am planning a new-to-me recipe in the near future and was wondering if anyone could offer experienced advice on the batch.

The basis of the batch is to capture the maple syrup with the Belgian yeast.
I have years of experience with using herb/spice teas as mead additions so I expect no real surprises from this area. The main reason for the spicing is to balance out the nutrients with something positive for the flavor profile. This is a brew-pot addition so the flavor will be subdued after aging.

3 gallon batch:
Timeline expectations: primary 6-8 weeks, secondary 8-12 months, bottle + 1 year.

2 gal.(US) local aquifer spring water

1 qt. (approx. 3 lb) Pure Maple Syrup
1/2 gal. (approx. 6 lb) Clover Honey
1 lb. Belgian Dark Candy Sugar

WLP500 White Labs Trappist Ale yeast

Additives at end of boil:
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 tbls Bee Pollen (or 1 tsp yeast nutrient)
juice of 2 lemons, 1 orange
6 oz herbal tea (recipe fllows)

Herbal Tea:
Bring 1 qt apple juice to boil with zested rinds of 2 lemons, 1 orange, boil well then remove peels. and pour over the lemon and orange meats with 2 tbls crushed Corriander, 3 crush Cinnamon sticks, 2 slices fresh Ginger, 3 whole cloves, sm. spring Rosemary, 1 packed cup fresh Melissa. Steep-covered 30 minutes, Strain well, reheat to 170F.
(I add honey and drink the remainder hot.)

I know this is not a simple mead recipe, but after alot of experience with herb teas, I think this is the best method of flavor/nutrient addition and since I plan long maturation periods even strong teas in the primary are undernotes from the bottle.

If I brew this soon then Christmas '07 would be feature an interesting brew....

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Hey Rathpig, welcome to the forums!

I must say, being a fan of both mead and Belgian ales this sounds very interesting to me.

Out of curiosity what is it that you hope to accomplish by using the ale yeast? Is it a specific flavor from the yeast you are looking for in the profile or are you wanting this to come out with less alcohol than by using a wine/champagne yeast?

Keep us update on how it is going!

Rathpig

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 9, 2005
The specs on WLP500 from White Labs site:

From one of the six Trappist breweries remaining in the world, this yeast produces the distinctive fruitiness and plum characteristics. Excellent yeast for high gravity beers, Belgian ales, dubbels and trippels.

Attenuation: 75-80; Flocculation: low to medium; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 65-72

This yeast is good to 15% abv and the flavor character increases with ferm temp. This is a very alcohol-capable yeast, so nothing is lost to the Champagne yeast expect rapid clarity, and ALOT of flavor character is gained.

Because I am primarily a Cyser-maker, I think this batch continues that approach to mead. I desire a complex beverage which retains a crisp and drinkable character. Many Belgian Ales are complex yet crisp, full flavored and drinkable.

That is my target: a Belgian Maple Dubbel Mead

(I may try this yeast with a Cyser using apple blossom honey and 1-2 pounds light candy sugar ~ that one may be the supreme use of the WLP500.)

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Rathpig,

Do you intend to prime this at the end, or serve it still? Seems like it would be nice both ways -- but as a sparkling mead, it sounds especially intriguing.

-David

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns