• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

recipes and yeast

Barrel Char Wood Products

7_cmos_7

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
Hi!
I'm a newbie...
I would like do make a sweat mead
What kind of yeast do you suggest?
and what recipes?
Bye,
Cmos.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Welcome to the forum! If your new to mead, everyone on here will recommend you go buy The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm. You can't go wrong with that book and it will teach you everything you need to know.

A simple medium sweet mead recipe for a 5 gallon batch would be:

15 lbs Clover or Orange Blossom Honey
Fermaid K Yeast Nutrient
D-47 or 71B-1122 Yeast
Fill the rest of the jug with water

If you don't want to wait a long time for your mead to become drinkable, consider following Joe's 3 week recipe in the recipe section. Or Joe's Ancient Orange Mead.

7_cmos_7

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
Hi! Where can I find those kind of yeast? Unfotunately I live in Italy and Mead isn't very known here!!!

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Hi cmos. I'm familiar with the lack of brew shops in Italy after talking to someone in the same situation. He ended up having to order everything. But don't feel too bad because alot of people in this country have to order too.

The brewshop my friend ordered from was morebeer.com. While your at it, you may want to see what else you need so you don't have to keep ordering, and save on the shipping costs. You should get a hydrometer while your at it, for example.

Good luck!

7_cmos_7

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
I'm trying to find the Joe's recipes in the r. section but I'm not able to find them...
chan you post the exact link,please!

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
7_cmos_7

Welcome to the Forum!

With a lack of brewshops in Italy I assume you want...

Joe's Ancient Orange

Simple recipe, practically fool proof called ancient mead. Works every time.
1 gal jug and airlock
Fill 3/4 full with 3 lbs honey and warm water mixture.
Add 10 raisins, 1 cinimmon stick, 1 clove, and 1 orange washed and cut into eights or thin slices rind and all. Add 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. Shake very well. Add airlock and put in dark place at about 68-70 degrees and forget about it.
In 6 - 8 weeks it should be clear and done. Siphon off the clear liquid into a clean bottle and enjoy.

Sure everyone will say:
Don't use bread yeast! You better boil it first. You better rack it before it finishes to get off of the lees or it will spoil! It will be cloudy! Don't put the rind of the orange in, only the juice and zest!
But I say hogwash! The proof is in the pudding! Works every time and is quite good for a first mead without all the equipment and it doesn't get much simpler for the beginner

Wrathwilde

7_cmos_7

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
Hi! How much yeast? I'm going to order the lavin yeast but now I have a general white wine yeast. The producer say me to use 1 g. in 1,3 gallon for wine but how much I sould use in 1,3 gallon of mead?

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
1 packet should be fine. But if you are doing one of Joe's recipes, you better use the same yeast he describes. Yeast makes a huge difference.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
7_cmos_7,

You can use a 5g sachet (this is how it's usually packaged in America) for any recipe from 1 to four liters. Joe's Ancient Orange recipe uses 5g of bread yeast instead of wine yeast, but the 3 Week Mead uses K1V-1116 by Lalvin. Both these recipes are designed for 1 U.S. gallon (just about 4 liters). I made both of these recipes with 4 liter jugs, and they turned out fine.

-David

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
2 grams/gallon is a good general rule. But I recommend using a whole 5g packet of yeast for 1 gallon batches. Though, if yeast is hard to come by, i supposed you could store the remainder of a packet in an air-tight container in the fridge.

7_cmos_7

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
Norskersword said me:

A simple medium sweet mead recipe for a 5 gallon batch would be:

15 lbs Clover or Orange Blossom Honey
Fermaid K Yeast Nutrient
D-47 or 71B-1122 Yeast
Fill the rest of the jug with water

I will use another wwhite wine yeast this time.
I will boil wather, than add honey and the yeast sterter when It's colder.
Than I will bottle and airlok.
Is 15 lbs few for a final sweet mead?
How many time I must wait to complete fermentation? Should I syphon some time? (I dont now ... about any full moon?)

Thanks you! nI will try tomorrow.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns