• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bubbles and crud.

Barrel Char Wood Products

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
I'm about a month into a batch of Joe's quick grape mead, and have a couple of questions.

Recipe: http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,99.0.html
My brewlog: http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1202.0.html

I racked to a carbouy a couple of weeks ago, and a couple of things are bugging me. When adding the sorbate and metabisulfate, I mixed both up in a bit of water. I poured them through a funnel into the carbouy before racking, and some of the undissolved chunks stuck to the inside of the carbouy neck. I felt it was safer to leave them, then to stick something in to clean it out, figuring the chunks would dry up. Two weeks later the chunks are still there, and appear to be as moist. Plus the stopper went in damp from the sanitizer (I don't wipe things dry, since it seems that would defeat the purpose of sanitizer), and the moisture that was around it is still there as well. Is this a problem?

The other thing, are the bubbles that are visible. Would it be safe to bottle in 2 or 3 weeks with this amount of bubbles on the surface? Or should I sulfite/sorbate a bit more? I don't see any bubbles traveling up, but its been like this for a week or so. No activity at all in the airlock.

Thanks!

Image below:
gooey.jpg

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
That's normal. Nothing's growing, don't worry. Don't add any more sorbate/sulfite, it sounds like fermentation has already stopped. Just be patient and wait 3 or 4 more weeks. Personally I rack every 6 weeks.

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
Just outta curiosity...

I noticed in your pics (here, and in another thread) that you insert your airlock as far as it'll go into the stopper. Is that fairly standard?

I'm basing my experience off of the way my brother makes his wines, and he always has about an inch or so of the stem of the airlock sticking out the top.

Is one way "better" than the other, or is it simply a matter of personal preference?

Thanks!

Merry

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
I push mine in until they fit good and snug. Maybe your brother uses stoppers that are a bit larger, and don't need to be pushed down as far.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Same here. I make them good and snug but I'm not trying to push it in a certain depth or anything.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
I make them snug too, though there always seems to be an equal amount of the airlock stem below and above the stopper. Just the way I am, I guess.

-David

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I like to put mine in as deep as it will go... ::)

Oh, my traps only go in until the end of it lines up with the bottom of the stopper. That way I can take the stopper out and set it on something like a napkin without having it fall over while I work on the batch...

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
Pewter_of_Deodar said:
Oh, my traps only go in until the end of it lines up with the bottom of the stopper. That way I can take the stopper out and set it on something like a napkin without having it fall over while I work on the batch...

Its the simple things like this that I never think of. :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns