• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Strange Experiences.

Barrel Char Wood Products

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Ok, Wrathwilde suggested a topic for the Hive, so here we go.

A while back (sometime in the past year) I was comming home after dark with our two kids. I don't remember where my wife was at the time, but I had the kids for the evening. Apparently I'd left a light on in the dining room, and as you approach our house, there is a brief moment when you can see into the dining romm from about a half block away.

My daughter sits on that side of the car, and as we passed that spot asked me in a startled 5-year-old way "Daddy, who are those people in our dining room?" The house was supposed to be empty, so I freaked a bit, assuming that we had a burglary going on. I parked the kids in a safe spot and ran around and into the house from the back yard. A back door was unlocked, but there wasn't anybody inside the house.

I questioned my daughter more about it, and she insisted that she saw "people in old-fashioned clothes" in our dining room.

The dining room light was on, and she had a clear view of the room from her seat in the car. What or who she saw we'll probably never know.

David

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
People in old fashioned clothes? :eek:

Did your daughter describe what she meant by "old fashioned" clothes? What were the people doing?

Maybe the most important question -- How old is your house? :D

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
From what I remember, she said they were standing in the dining room.

"Old Fashioned" as in the types of dresses she's seen in pictures of my great grandparents taken circa 1900, and a man in a top hat.

The window is only visible from that spot for about a second before it is hidden behind other houses and garages, so I never thought to ask her then what else she saw them doing.

From what we can tell by the original abstract of title (which we found on a shelf when we moved in). We are guessing that the current house was built in about 1914 on part of a foundation of another smaller house that may have burned. The current structure was built from salvaged materials that appear to have come from a timber-frame barn. The old mortise and tennon joints are still visible.

Interestingly by the abstract, there is a restrictive covenant on the property prohibiting the sale or manufacture of alcoholic beverages on the property... oops... ;D

Probably the ghosts of some prohibitionists comming back to haunt me. ::)

Last year when I did some remodeling work in the kitchen, I found that the floor under a part of an old exterior porch (now enclosed as part of the house) had been excevated - leaving a large cavity under the now unsupported concrete slab. A bit of closer investigation showed a hole in the basement wall from which the cavity had been excavated. Our favorite theory is that it was a hidden still.

Took more than a yard of gravel to fill in that cavity. :eek:

David

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
David Baldwin said:
Probably the ghosts of some prohibitionists comming back to haunt me. ::)

a hole in the basement wall ... it was a hidden still.

Of course, it could be the ghosts of the the folks who put in the mystery space, coming back now that they could finally have a party at the ol' homestead...

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
My family and I lived in a 150-year old house that definitely had 'presences". I don't much like talking about it. It's in the very ancient town of Safed, in the north of Israel. Er, I like very much talking about Safed, which I love and miss - it was simply uncomfortable - most uncomfortable - in that house sometimes.

Miriam

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns