• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Show us your Stems

Barrel Char Wood Products

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
My cheap $.83 wine glass, filled with cheap zinfandel I've been using to top my airlocks because I'm out of vodka. This is the best it gets for my stemware. The only reason I posted this is because taking pictures of glass can be challenging, and it gives me a chance to use my home-made light tent, and fancy-shmancy new lens. :) I guess I need more practice, or better lighting, or something...

underadollar.jpg

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Nice shot Ed,

Did you make the light box, or purchase it. I'm still trying to come up with a good soft box I have some things to photograph for a site I'm doing. I'll shoot my stems sometime tomorrow, but they won't have anything in them! LOL Hmmm, maybe I'll put my 04 Zinfandel in them. LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I decided to pull down one stem from each of the sets that I have so I could fit them into a photo. Here's a link:

One of my decanters is in the middle, and the crystal mug is for cold cold mead when I want it to stay cold for a bit.

Cheers,

Oskaar

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Oskaar,

Now that's an impressive collection! Can you tell us what they're all called, what their traditional uses are, and how you use them? Some of those I've never even seen before!

-David

Reactions: TheAlchemist

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
OK, here are the stem descriptions and what I use them for apart from the traditionally accepted usage. Bear in mind that I also drink mead from all of these stems and the mug, it depends on what I'm getting from the mead, and how it presents in the stem.

Back Row Center: Burgundy Grand Cru

Traditional Varietals and Wines: Barbaresco, Barolo, Burgundy (Red), Clos de Vougeot, Echezeaux, Musigny, Nebbiolo, Nuits Saint Georges, Pinot Noir, Pommard, Romanee Saint Vivant, Santenay, Volnay, Vosne-Romanee.
My additional uses: Big Dry Oaked Dark Melomels, Big Dry Oaked Cysers, Big Dry Oaked Meads, Big Dry Oaked Pyments, Port style Zinfandel, Dingac, Plavac Mali

1 Left of Back Row Center: Bordeaux Grand Cru
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Bordeaux (Red), Brunello Di Montalcino, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Fronsac, Graves Rouge, Margaux, Medoc, Merlot, Pauillac, Pomerol, St. Emillion, St. Estephe, St. Julien, Sangiovese, Super Tuscan.
My additional uses: Demi-sec Meads, Demi-Sec Cysers, Demi-Sec Melomels, Demi-Sec Pyment.

2 Left of Back Row Center: Chianti Classico
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Beaujolais, Carignan, Chianti, Cotes du Roussillon, Dolcetto, Montepulciano, Primitivo, Red Zinfandel, Sangiovese, Teroldego.
My additional uses: Chardonnay, Posip, Vugava, Grasevina, Sweet Mead, Cyser, Pyment and Dry to Sweet Metheglins

3 Left of Back Row Center: Port
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Colheitas, LBV, Madeira, Tawny Port, Vin Santo, Vintage Port.
Spirits: Single Malt Scotch Whiskey, Irish Whiskey, Grappa, Prosek, Rakija, Travarica, Rogacak, Mandarina, Desert Meads

4 Left of Back Row Center: Loire/Savignon Blanc
Traditional Varietals and Wines: Bordeaux (white), Chenin Blanc, Fume Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Pouilly-Fume, Sancerre, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon.
My additional Uses: Sweet meads, citrus meads, pronounced varietal honey meads (lavender, mint, etc.)

Front Row Center: Red Wine Decanter
Traditional uses: Red Wine
My additional uses: Name it!

1 Left of Front Row Center: Cognac snifter
Traditional usage: Armagnac, Brandy, Calvados, Cognac
My additional uses: Liqueur blends as digestives, heavy flavor high alcohol sweet meads

2 Left of Front Row Center: Brandy snifter
Traditional uses: Armagnac, Brandy, Calvados, Cognac.
My additional uses: Liqueur blends as digestives, heavy flavor high alcohol sweet meads

3 Left of Front Row Center: Cordial
Traditional uses: Cordials
My additional uses: Rakija, Grappa, Sljivovica, Loza, Frozen Vodka, Frozen Tequila

1 Right of Back Row Center: Burgundy (red)

Traditional varietals and wines:
Barolo, Barbaresco, Burgundy (red), Grand Cru Beaujolais, Nebbiolo, Pinot Noir
My additional uses: Dry Spiced Cyser, Dry cherry melomel, Lavender-Rosemary Metheglin, pyment, hippocras

2 Right of Back Row Center: Burgundy (white)

Burgundy (white), Corton-Charlemagne, Montrachet, New World Chardonnay
My additional uses: Dry blended honey mead, Dry single varietal mead, pyment, hipporcras

3 Right of Back Row Center: Cuvee

Champagne, Luxury Cuvee Champagne, Rose, Vintage Champagne, Vintage Sparkling Wine
My additional uses: Dry sparkling melomel, Dry petulant mead, dry sparkling mead, aged sparkling mead

4 Right of Back Row Center: Champagne

Cava, Champagne, Prosecco, Sparkling Wine
My additional uses: Dry sparkling mead, semi-sweet sparkling mead

1 Right of Front Row Center: Etched Crystal Mug

Mulled hot wine, mulled hot mead, frozen margarita, frozen daquiri, frozen mead slushie!

Back right portion of picture under photo: Cigar humidor; Black Walnut

Contents: Montecristo No. 2, Montecristo Especial No. 2, Montecristo No. 4, Romeo y Julieta Churchills, Hoyo de Monterey Double Coronas, Partagas Lusitanias, Cohiba robustos, Cohiba Esplendidos. (total of about 400 mixed)

Cheers,

Oskaar

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
Now you've done it! I will get out my collection and take photo's.

Do you guys have a Homegoods store near you? They sell overstock and broken box kitchen/ house wares stuff. They occasionally have great deals. Over the weekend I picked up 24 various Spiegelau Authentis stems for 4.99 each (they tend to run 8-11$ mail order). They don't have that good a quality stems often, maybe once a year or so.

Brian

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
Oskaar said:
Nice shot Ed,

Did you make the light box, or purchase it. I'm still trying to come up with a good soft box I have some things to photograph for a site I'm doing. I'll shoot my stems sometime tomorrow, but they won't have anything in them! LOL Hmmm, maybe I'll put my 04 Zinfandel in them. LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Hey Oskaar,

Sorry for taking a week to reply. I made my light tent out of pvc (straight lengths and 90 degree joints), a white sheet, and some poster board. I made just a basic box frame out of the pvc, attach a couple of small screws to the upper rear horizontal span to attach the poster board, and drape a white sheet over the top, sides, and back of the contraption. The height of the box should work with your poster board so when its attached to the box frame, it will drape down and forward to create a seamless background.

Other than that I use regular household lights on stands pointed at the sheet, and the sheet diffuses the light. I only use two 100 watt bulbs, and that really isn't a large amount of light. So I always use a tripod, and set my white balance to the poster board once I'm all setup.

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Nice collection Oskaar. And thank's, this thread was the nudge I needed to get the crystal down, amonia dip and polish it.

The "Black Glass" stems, are late 19th century from an old Hollywood estate.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Very cool stems Anthony! I likey!

ED, nice ingenuity on the light tent. Looks like I have to make one at some point!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
Nice Oskaar! My tastes run a little more mundane and since I'm in the SCA I prefer the retro vessels (although in reality, I'm like a bull in a china shop and glasses like Oskaar uses wouldn't last two weeks in my house!). Although I'll admit that I frequently use the glass at the right for critiquing my meads and for those times when I just want a sip. Anyone recognize it?

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/239797/photo20.html

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
SummerSolstice, the horn stem looks interesting. 8) I bet that set you back a few cents. ;D Where did you get that thing? ;)

May the gods grant you great brews,

Gerald

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
I bought the horn in a pawn shop so it wasn't that expensive. There was a small tag written in Cyrillic attached to the horn's chain. A Russian friend said it was made in the old Soviet Union by one of the many ethnic groups in the former USSR. It had apparently never been used and I coated the inside with bee's wax for my own use.

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Oskaar,

I am amazed at your stems and the description you have added to what you would consume from them. I have looked around the forum and have gathered that you have a slight *sarcasm* interest in mead. So what would you pair the different types of mead with, ie food wise, cheeses, redheads, etc?

By the way thanks for all the posts so new folks to mead making, like me, can learn and attempt to improve!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns