• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How many North Carolinians?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
I'm sitting here bored while I'm rebatching old soap, washing bottles, and all of the forums I read aren't moving fast enough.

I got to thinking...
There's lots of members in SoCal, probably as a byproduct of their wine industry.
How many people are from NC? I know of myself and Vicky.
I think I've seen others mention that they're from the RDU area.
Seems a bit odd to have so many North Carolinians in here.

I got into brewing mead because I hate beer and grape wine and liked mead when I tasted it.

Casey

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
www.carolinabrewmasters.com
Hey Fortuna, I am from Charlotte, NC and will be holding a Mead Day brew session at my place this coming Saturday. Going to be around 50 people here for that with 17 different styles of Honey and 8 commercial meads and a lot of homebrewed meads. I know there is going to be another Mead Day session in Garner, NC by a friend of mine. I like Mead, Beer and Wine so I am into it all but have gotten heavy into the mead end as of late. I have found a beekeeper in Statesville that I have been buying honey from for my club members and myself so we should have a lot of mead available in about a year or so. I take it you are in the RDU area ?

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
I'm actually in Wilmington, although I travel to RDU every month or two.

I buy my honey from Dutch Gold and from local bee keepers. Although, if you know where I can get a gallon of cheap (<$2/#) buckwheat let me know.

I was actually thinking about going to Raleigh to see the mead day presentation there.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I'm a transplant from So Cal to NC (Durham), so I cover both areas for ya! I had thought about making wine for years, but the books I read about it scared me away. I chose mead becaue it is easier and tastier! The Compleat Meadmaker helped make it eaiser.

By the way, I invited Jeff Lee (of Lee's Bees) to the mead day shindig. He's the second largest honey producer in NC. Don't know if he'll be there, but it will be great if he is! Believe it or not, he's never had mead! Sells to several meadmakers tho, as you can imagine!

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Fortuna, you coming up to the Mead Day demo Saturday in Hillsboro? I'll be there, and would love to meet you. And I'll have some rosemary mead.....

Vicky

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
Vicky, I thought the demo was at American Brewmaster off of Capital.
What's this about Hillsboro?

I'll bring thee that bottle of rhodomel.

ciderman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 26, 2005
Ciderman here. I'm from the southwest virginia area, but I work here in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area. Sorry I missed you last week in Raleigh, but it was my anniversary, and I don't think my wife would have enjoyed me going out of town. I'm pretty new to mead making. I started with the beer and wine last year about this time. The beer has progressed from barely drinkable to pretty darn good and still experimenting. The first bottle of wine was opened last week for our wedding anniversary. It was a medium sweet raspberry made from Jack Kellers recipe. It came out really well. I have experimented with 2 meads since January. The first was a cyzer. It tasted like kerosene at bottling so I hope it ages really well, but I don't hold out much hope for it. The next was anchient orange which also tasted like karo. I bought schramm's book and now have raspberry, cherry, traditional meduim sweet, peach mels and a cinnamon/clove meth all in 1 gallon secondaries. Racking off fruit next month.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Welcome to our obsession! Sounds like you'll fit in nicely around here! ;D

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hey Jay!
We'll claim you! Believe it or not, I've lived in NC for 5 years not and have not made it to Ashville yet! My wife and son have both been there! Guess I've got to go there sometime!

jaysbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2004
www.jaysbrewing.com
Fabulous area! My wife and I had long looked for a new place to live (4-5 years). Once we saw Asheville we knew it was for us. I highly recommend checking it out.

Northern VA is great in many ways, but is far too crowded and expensive. Once we had our child (a year ago) we decided it was time to really make the move and get some much needed space. It's still 2-3 years off, but we'll get there permanently!

Cheers,
Jay

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns