• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Contaminated...

Barrel Char Wood Products

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
Well, about three weeks ago I did a third racking on 2 one gallon batches, adding toasted oak, cinnamon, and an anise star in one of the batches. I did a quick visual today, and found muck all around the cinnamon stick in the one batch where the cinnamon stick landed close to edge of the carbouy.

I'm calling it a nasty thing, since there is no other sediment or anything except around the broken cinnamon stick. When the carbouy is moved or disturbed, there are nasty stringy things that rise up, like a nasty fungi thing. I call it toilet water now, since thats where its going...

Sorry for the lousy image, this is the best I could get with the thick bottom glass, and trying to stuff my lighting fixtures in my tiny mead storing area.

contam.gif

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Re: Contaminated... DON'T TOSS IT!!!

Can't really tell from the pic but I think it might be yeast still settling out, I've had a few cloudy whispy layers form on the bottom after racking to a 3rd that were very easily disturbed, the yeast just refused to settle like it did in the primary or secondary. Just my 2 cents... any one else care to hazard a guess? As for it being localized, is this a fairly dry mead and the cinnamon may be the only available sugar source? With the bubbles trapped around there I'm thinking the yeast is trying to ferment it. I wouldn't toss it. put an air lock on it and let it go for a few more weeks. Check the smell to see if you notice any moldy odors now and again in several weeks.

Wrathwilde

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I wouldnt be so fast to toss it either. It doesnt look like anything bad to me, a bit hard to tell from the pic though. Tasting it will give you more information than anything else.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
I'm also for no toss,
Looks like it is still working from the small bubbles I see on the bottom. No cause for alarm at this time. Whenever you add something at this stage of the game it is always possible for a yeast reaction. Different yeasts create different residue that look nasty. At this stage, your alcohol level should be protecting you. Let it work and taste when done. Most probably is okay.

Cheers,
Joe

edacsac

NewBee
Registered Member
May 18, 2005
Re: Contaminated... DON'T TOSS IT!!!

Wrathwilde said:
As for it being localized, is this a fairly dry mead and the cinnamon may be the only available sugar source? With the bubbles trapped around there I'm thinking the yeast is trying to ferment it.

Last time I checked the gravities where 1.008, and 1.035. The image is taken from the 1.008. Thye both started around 1.135, and both taste pretty sweet, last time I racked.

I guess I'll let it sit for awhile if everyone thinks its ok. Like I siad, I added toasted oak, so I have about 5 more weeks before that needs to come out.

Thanks everyone! I almost didn't post this, and was going to go straight to the "flush" step!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns